cinnamon roll failure
Hi I am a very novice baker. But I have been getting in to trying to make cinnamon rolls and soft pretzels. I like using a whole grain flour and currently use king Arthur white whole wheat as its the beast available. although I find oat flour works and tastes the best for none yeast products but it would not rise due to no gluten correct?
Anyway my real question is and I have only tried 3-4 times. Why my cinnamon rolls always come out a bit dry and never as fluffy as I would like? I would also like them to have that ooeey gooeyness that I think the best cinnamon rolls have in my opinion. This is roughly where I am at for the recipe.
1 cup warm almond milk no sugar added
- 1packet dry yeast dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar just cause I like the taste of brown sugar more
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups whole white wheat flour I believe its an all purpose
- 2tsp wheat gluten because I was told wheat flour has less gluten then white
- I mix the warm milk sugar and yeast for 5 minutes or so until it foams.
- then I mix all dry ingredients together. Then add in egg and yeast mixture and mix till combined.
- Then I knead until it becomes smooth. Let rise 1 hour. Roll out put in my cinnamon roll filling cover and let rise again.
- Then bake at 335 for around 15 minutes.
- would it make a big difference to use regular milk maybe? should I use more fat? Do I need more or less gluten? or is gluten not that important for cinnamon rolls? I have herd of people adding potato starch and all kinds of things. Any help is appreciated.
- I recently read I should add tbsp. extra liquid for each cup of flour. then let though rest after mixing and before you knead it for whole grain flours?
- Sorry for the long post.