The quest for the New Your bagel continues. This time we lowered the hydration 2% to 56%, used more barley malt, used 27% whole grains (the bulk of which was whole wheat in the dough flour to try to mimic first clear flour) and we used AP with VWG since we didn’t have any bread flour.
We also changed the process around a little bit too. We built a full strength SD starter out of whole grains, stiffened it up to 65% and then let it sit in the fridge for 3 days to get sour. Then we built a levain from that using 15 g of seed and whole grain spelt, rye and WW. We made the yeast waster levain separately and replaced the whole spelt with AP flour.
Once the two levains had doubled, the SD levain was placed into the bottom of the container and the YW levain was put on top of that and they were placed in the fridge together for 2 days.
The levains were removed from the fridge to warm up. While they warming we autolysed the rest of the ingredients, including; the salt, malts and VWG for 2 hours after having kneaded them together. Dough like this would kill the KA so hand kneading is always the wiser choice but a hard slog.
After the levains hit the autolyse it took a while to work then in the hard dough by squeezing it through the fingers. Then we kneaded the dough until it was tough but silky smooth. After a 1 hour rest we shaped the bagels around the knuckles at 135 g each and put them on semolina dusted parchment where they rested for 1hour before gong into the fridge for a 32 hour retard.
Sorry, cut into one for a taste while they were still quite warm.
After coming out of the fridge, we let the bagels proof on the counter for 4 hours. The bagels doubled over that time and then we refrigerated them again for 1 ½ hours to stiffen them up. Next time we will put them back in the fridge after 3 hours and let them cool for 2. The bagels were gently boiled for 30 seconds each side, in water that had barley malt and baking soda in it, just to shock them awake.
Bagel hole? Made a little dough ball for floating to see if the bagels were ready to boil and that they too would float!
They were flipped on a kitchen towel to get rid of the excess water and then dunked into the seed mixture. The 3 mixes this time were white, brown and black poppy, white and black sesame and a multi-seed and salt one comprised of the previous seeds plus oregano and basil seeds, black and brown caraway seeds, nigella seeds and kosher salt. We made twice as many of the combo salt ones since they are our favorite.
Looks and cuts better when fully cooled,
The steam was supplied by 1 of Sylvia’s steaming pans and a 12” skillet with lava rocks and we used both stones to accommodate the 13 bagels and 1 small roll. They baked with steam at 450 F for 8 minutes and then steam was removed and they baked for another 8 minutes at 425 F convection until they were deemed done and nicely browned.
Beautiful skies don't have to be sunsets or sunrises. The sunset was great too!
After deflating in the boil they managed to puff themselves back up nicely in the steam. These are getting very close to NY SD Bagels and would be way sourer without the YW in the mix to tone it down. The blistered crust is crispy, the crumb chewy but the taste is near spot on too. Even my wife is having one for breakfast today instead of Einstein’s. Now that takes some doing. We like this batch very much but will make some changes next time as we always do still searching for the perfect bagel that doesn’t exist.
I never eat two bagels at once but did when they came out of the oven yesterday - yummy! Cream cheese schmear and buttered with minneola marmalade.
SD Desem & Rye Sour
Levain % of Total
T. Dough Hydration
Whole Grain %
Hydration w/ Adds
Add - Ins
Red Rye Malt
White Rye Malt