The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Whole Grains

Whole grain and multi-grain breads

rayel's picture

Sesame Buttermilk Bread

October 3, 2010 - 5:55pm -- rayel
Forums: 

Baked some Buttermilk Bread today to fulfill a request from my Daughter. Specifically with sesame seeds. I was pleased with this double recipe's turnout. I got the four in all accross one oven rack. I think they baked evenly, though they were almost touching. I used two straight sided pans, and that allowed for a bit more space. I toasted the sesame seeds prior, but stopped when they were barely colored. Two were shaped 10 minutes earlier, but the other loaves caught

miamaria's picture

Converting white bread recipe to whole wheat

September 27, 2010 - 6:36am -- miamaria
Forums: 

Hello Everyone!

I'm attempting to make a 50% whole wheat loaf by adjusting the first recipe below.  I am unsure how adjusting the amounts/ingredients in the recipe will affect the end result.  Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Original recipe:

KA bread flour 100%

Salt 2%

Wheat germ 2%

Sugar 5%

Butter, melted 5%

Instant yeast .83%

Water 68%

New recipe:

KA bread flour 50%

KA Stone ground whole wheat 50%

Starter (100% Hydration) 40%

Wheat germ 2%

Maple syrup 5%

knit fast die warm's picture

ww soft sandwich loaf, please help

September 23, 2010 - 2:12pm -- knit fast die warm
Forums: 

i've been making a few different recipes for ww sandwich loaves. i'm not happy with the results.

i'm looking for something similar to the softness of a store-bought loaf. i've never done a sourdough starter, so i'd rather the suggestions be with yeast.

i have ww flour, ap flour, gluten, dry active yeast, white sugar, brown/natural sugar, raw honey, milk, kefir.

i'd also LOVE to be able to add other goodies like oats, nuts, wheat germ, flax meal, and such.

GSnyde's picture

Something's Gone A Rye

September 21, 2010 - 7:58pm -- GSnyde
Forums: 

I made toast from San Joaquin Sourdough the day after it was baked, and the smell and taste of the rye flour (though only 10% of the total flour weight) was very prominent compared to the day before when the loaf was first sliced.  I've noticed the same thing with the Vermont Sourdough: it taste rye-ier after a day or two. Anybody else have this experience?  

It's actually kind of pleasant, as I like rye flavor.

Glenn

MmeZeeZee's picture

Baking Is for Retirees Only... Ugh. Help, unexpected appointment and pate fermentee already fermenting!

September 16, 2010 - 5:12am -- MmeZeeZee
Forums: 

I was going to mix the bread (soaker, pate fermentee, etc.) tomorrow morning.

Got a call, must urgently go to a meeting all morning.

What can I do with that pate fermentee and soaker?  Can I retard the pate?  HELP ME!  Thanks.

knit fast die warm's picture

new and looking for help with whole wheat bread that just doesn't rise how i'd like it to

September 12, 2010 - 2:00pm -- knit fast die warm
Forums: 

hello, i'm new to these parts and new to bread baking... i'm looking for a bit of help

i made the recipe located here: http://busycooks.about.com/od/yeastbreads/r/honeywheatbr.htm

i made half of the recipe, since i only have one loaf pan.

Mebake's picture

Soaking Bran?

September 1, 2010 - 4:53am -- Mebake
Forums: 

A thought has just came across my mind. When we want to include cracked grains or seeds in our bread mix we usually soak them for many reasons, one of which is to soften them up.

Could sifting the whole wheat flour, and soaking the bran overnight, and re-including it into the final mix improve the crumb texture of wholewheat bread??

Only way to find out is to try. Anyone ever tried that before?

thanks

khalid

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Whole Grains