The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Whole Grains

Whole grain and multi-grain breads

hanseata's picture

Sprouted Spelt Bread - a Variation of a WGB Recipe

February 12, 2011 - 5:34pm -- hanseata
Forums: 

I made this variation of Peter Reinhart's "Whole Wheat and Sprouted Grain Bread" (from WGB) with spelt - I had just bought a 20 lb bag of spelt kernels, and generally like the taste of spelt better than of whole wheat. Instead of a biga I used a starter, added an overnight cold bulk fermentation, and coriander for a hint of spice. The bread rose quite nicely and tasted very good.

swifty's picture

sources of supply-High Extraction flour

February 8, 2011 - 12:55pm -- swifty
Forums: 

I am interested in find a source of supply for smaller amounts( 5-10  pounds) of high extraction flour for making the bread High Extraction flour Miche as listed in Peter Reinharts Whole grain breads, page 164.

Do you know of a source of supply that will ship.

I live in Western North Carolina near Asheville.

Dough-No's picture

Quest for Whole Wheat Sandwich bread replacment.

February 7, 2011 - 6:35pm -- Dough-No
Forums: 

Hey guys!!

I have been baking bread 2 or 3 times a week for about 2 months now and am starting to have more successes than failures whichh is good.  I would like to start saving some money though.  In order to do that I need to be able to bake a whole wheat/whole grain sandwich bread that our 3 year old and his mother will eat. 

hydestone's picture

PR's WGB - Transitional Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread

January 22, 2011 - 4:03pm -- hydestone
Forums: 

I am making PR's Transitional Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread and am wondering if the soaker is hydrated enough to work.  I used plain greek style yogurt instead of milk and it seems very dry.  I was able to work it into a ball of dough but it took a little bit of work as it was very dry.  I had to scoop up the last few tablespoons of flour from the bottom of the bowl and tuck them into the middle of the ball then continue kneading.  Will the soaker work properly in this condition?

Also, total formula weight is 32.6 ounces.  Is this 1 or 2 sandwich loaves?

sparklebritches's picture

Finger poke test problem

January 16, 2011 - 9:58am -- sparklebritches
Forums: 

I've been baking every couple of days for about a month and a half now--mostly working on whole wheat/blend sandwich loaves.

When in their final proof, I've been noticing that my loaves are always overproofed according to the finker poke test.   So, of course, I rush to get the oven warmed and the loaves in.  Most of the time it yields a very reasonable sandwich loaf.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Whole Grains