The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Whole Grains

Whole grain and multi-grain breads

hanseata's picture

Rye Bread Crust - A Question for Experts

August 27, 2010 - 2:49pm -- hanseata
Forums: 

Today I baked the first bread from a new German bread baking book - "Brot - so backen unsere besten Baecker" (Bread - how our best bakers bake). I chose a very appetizing looking sourdough rye bread from a bakery of my old hometown, Hamburg, called "Hamburger Strong One".

This is how "Hamburger Kraeftiges" looks like in the book.

sybram's picture

Whole Grain Mix

August 24, 2010 - 9:08am -- sybram
Forums: 

I have a mix of whole grains.  I think hey are oats, wheat (? not certain of this) rye, barley, millet, couscous, rice and buckwheat.    So DUH! not to label these, as they were all bulk.  Anyway, I made this mixture at the suggestion of an acquaintance to cook overnight in a crock pot and eat for breakfast.  It comes out too pasty for my taste, so I'm wondering if I can make bread with it.  I knew where to come with that question. lol  You guys know everything!  Oh, and I have sourdough ready to use, if that would work, too.

Syb

metropical's picture

uh oh - over-hydrated dough

August 15, 2010 - 12:49pm -- metropical
Forums: 

what to do?

I used my starter that had grayed a bit.  I've done this before with no problem.

I stirred in the grey liquid (it didn't smell any more off then usual).

But the starter never "woke" up even after 3 feeds.  

I started the dough using the usual proportions and I have a very wet dough that will in no way hold a "slicing" loaf shape.

It is currently in autolyse.  Any suggestions to fix, or just go ahead as normal?

midwest baker's picture

Biga + Soaker

August 12, 2010 - 9:09am -- midwest baker
Forums: 

Today I'm making Peter Reinhart's 100% whole wheat loaf. It has a biga and a soaker that I made last night. I'm curious why, technically speaking, do these need to be done separately? Why couldn't a person just mix all the ingredients of the biga and soaker in one big ball and let them sit overnight? It would sure simplify things. I'll post a picture of today's loaf when it's done. I'd appreciate opinions about this. Thanks!

CJtheDeuce's picture

Whole grain dough failure

August 11, 2010 - 9:24am -- CJtheDeuce
Forums: 

I used stone ground whole wheat flour That a friend brought me from The College of the Ozarks student operated mill. Followed the recipe for 100% whole wheat in Crust & Crumb. The dough started spliting all over towards the end of final proof. I baked it & it looked terible but tasted good. I started over with some KA whole wheat flour & got good looking & good tasting bread. Some cold beer helped me get over the failure but what the heck happened?

Abbey's picture

Fermenting Rye

August 9, 2010 - 4:35pm -- Abbey
Forums: 

I am in the process of trying to get my head around baking rye breads and have found a definite difference of flavor in breads which ferment overnight, and those that do not. The breads which lack any fermenting time also lack a rye flavor, in my opinion. I have heard others say this too. So I was wondering if anyone can offer some guidlines as to taking a recipe that does not call for a fermenting period and adding one?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Whole Grains