The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

jimcornwall's picture

Sourdough Starters

January 10, 2015 - 10:39am -- jimcornwall

Hello

I have purchased some starters out of San Francisco in order to make sourdough French bread.  My question is if I start using this starter for my breads in Sacramento (100 miles away) won't my starter or bread become Sacramento sourdough because of the air or bacteria mixed in from Sacramento?

Thank You

jimcornwall57@yahoo.com

Janet Yang's picture

Milk and cumin in starter

January 8, 2015 - 6:17am -- Janet Yang

I was surprised to hear that some starter recipes call for milk. Does the starter somehow keep the milk from going bad? 

Joe Ortiz has a starter recipe that includes ⅛ tsp of cumin for ½ cup of whole wheat flour. The cumin isn't for seasoning.

Cumin helps to kind of engender the happy bacteria out of the air.

I'm not sure what that means! Can anybody elaborate?

Janet

Uncruliar's picture

Newbie - help appreciated

January 4, 2015 - 8:03am -- Uncruliar

Hi,

I started baking sourdough when I was given some starter and some very brief instruction from a friend. The bread that I was baking was quite tasty but rather dense. Having found out a bit more about sourdough baking recently I think that my dough was just too dry, not much different form a 'normal' bread dough.

ernieS's picture

Multigrain rye sourdough problems

January 3, 2015 - 7:52am -- ernieS

I have been making a dark rye sourdough from a recipe in “Crust.” It calls for 300g white flour, 500g dark rye flour, 400g sponge, 20g salt, and about 530g water. My starter is 50-50 flour/water by weight. The recipe on p 59 of the book by Bertinet calls for 600g of water but I find this dough is way too wet. After working the dough for 10 min I add a cup of mixed, toasted seeds.

I knead the dough 10 min, add the seeds, let it rest an hour, fold it, rest another hour, then divide it an let it rise in a cool place (60 deg or so) overnight.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters