The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

Heylo's picture

Non-wheat sourdough breads

February 5, 2015 - 7:53am -- Heylo

Hi all,

Up till now i've been a silent reader of this great bread database.. Now it's time for a question.

I've recently started making non-wheat sourdough loaves, using whole rye and spelt flours only. Obviously the dough is much waterier and sticky, and the loaves flatter and denser. Right now I'm streching and folding my current dough every 30 minutes, in hope for some improvement.

So- If you guys have any tips on how to get better textures and rise without using wheat flour- you'll be saving my loaves and guaranteeing yourselves a place in bread heaven.

Barbarat's picture

sourdough oat bread

February 3, 2015 - 11:40am -- Barbarat

I was looking for this since a while !Coming across Laurel Robertson's Bread book( love it!) I found her oat bread but done as a regular yeast bread. Since I am borderline diabetic and a bread aholic, I was looking for a nice sour dough oat bread. Txfarmer posted the perfect formula (thank you txfarmer). The one with whole wheat turned out perfect( but the computer ate the pic :(  ) . This one is a mix of AP, whole wheat and rye.I also used steelcut oats instead of rolled ones. Both make nice sandwich loaves.

Bread Head's picture

Advice with temperature changes for Tartine bread.......under or over ferment?

February 2, 2015 - 9:28am -- Bread Head

I have been making successful loaves with this method;

800g 365 Organic All Purpose flour

200g Fresh ground Hard Red Spring Wheat

780g water

300g Levain

Kitchen is around 66º F during the day. I would bulk ferment for about 7 to 8 hours with S&F the whole time. Proof would be 3 to 4 hours.  Then bake in combo cookers.  The loaves were turning out beautiful.

paul0130's picture

Sourdough cornbread

January 29, 2015 - 7:38am -- paul0130

So I found a pretty cool recipe online that I want to try out, but I'm a little confused as to what type of cornmeal to use:

http://www.food.com/recipe/sourdough-cornbread-388529

I like this recipe because its simple, it incorporates an overnight fermentation, and it lets me cook it in my cast iron skillet which is always a good thing.

catlick's picture

How to make bread like San Luis Obispo Sourdough

January 27, 2015 - 11:38am -- catlick

Hi! I am looking for the technique of how to make a soft chewy crust like San Luis Obispo sourdough. Thin crust. Lower tempurature, than I do my regular sourdoughs? (450 degrees). There is no dairy in their ingedients, so I know thats not they key. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Wendy

anshaw's picture

More Failed Sourdough!

January 26, 2015 - 11:55am -- anshaw

Hi!

I was hoping to get some advice on my bread baking! I posted recently, but have altered some of my methods, but still I am not getting the loaves I hope for. My current set up is as follows:

Recipe:

• 900g White Flour
  • 100g Wholemeal Flour
  • 200g Levain (mature sourdough starter)
  • 20g Salt
  • 730ml water. 

Process (primarily following a modified Tartine bread recipe by Chad Robertson):

Philip Gregory's picture

Slow-doughn (slow-down) sourdough...

January 25, 2015 - 11:48am -- Philip Gregory

Hey bakers, friends!

You guys have been great to me. This picture is just my second attempt at sourdough in the dutch oven. It works wonders for me and my family. Too much bread... is there such a thing?

I am about three weeks in to a sourdough frenzy. My starters are just about that old (three weeks), and I'm making sourdough bread for friends, for family, for co-workers and for dogs. Whoops!!! Someone left the bread out on the counter and maybe our puppy a very happy puppy.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters