The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Ingredients

Discussions about different ingredients, where to procure them, etc.

Dough-No's picture

Quality Flour in Toronto.

February 19, 2011 - 8:20pm -- Dough-No
Forums: 

Hey Guys!!

I am in Toronto Canada and have been buying my flour at bulk barn.  I usually get their unbleached bread flour, whole wheat, and rye flour.  Does anyone know of a place in Toronto to get better quality flour than this?  I would love to try making bread with some quality ingrediants.

Also is there a local dealer for SAF yeast?

D

AnnaInNC's picture

Potato Bread

February 18, 2011 - 4:28am -- AnnaInNC
Forums: 

I love bread with bits of potatoes, mashed, or cubed. Now I want to try a bread with store-bought frozen hashbrowns which include green and red peppers and bits of onion.  Has anyone tried this ?  I was wondering if and how I should adjust the water and flour of a basic recipe.

Thanks all,

anna

NCKathryn's picture

Saffron?!

February 15, 2011 - 4:25pm -- NCKathryn
Forums: 

I was baking a basic French loaf, 66%, and I noticed I had an old teensy tin of Middle Eastern saffron in my spices. This is embarrassingly old, but had been sealed. I've only heard of saffron bread as a sweet bread, but I decided to soak some threads in the water before mixing.  Turned a pretty yellow :-)

patnx2's picture

sd potato bread

February 8, 2011 - 8:56pm -- patnx2
Forums: 

Tonight I baked a double batch of sd potato bread using recipe posted by prairie19. I underproofed by a bit as the cuts didn't even show when dough was done. The bread was heavy with a fairly open crumb. The taste is unique,tasting a bit sour and a nice taste of the ww flour. Actually the bread tastes great , My question is what should this bread   feel like ie. heavy? I did a serch but saw little to answer this. I made a double batch and made 4 one pound loafs

RosaryMan's picture

2 Year Old Rye Flour

February 2, 2011 - 10:00am -- RosaryMan
Forums: 

Hello,

I just found the site.  I haven't done much looking around, yet, but it looks like it'll be a good one.  I was wondering how long can rye flour be stored in the refrigerator freezer.  The expiration date on the bag is Feb. 10, 2009.  The bag is unopened and has been in the freezer the whole time.  The brand is Hodgson Mill.  Thank you.

Michael.....

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Ingredients