The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Ingredients

Discussions about different ingredients, where to procure them, etc.

bobchristenson's picture

Whole Foods Bulk Flour - 10% discount

January 26, 2011 - 11:37am -- bobchristenson
Forums: 

For weeks I've been trying to find a place online where I could buy flour in bulk to get a discount.  I basically struck out with what I was looking for.

Today, while buying my normal flour at Whole Foods (365 organic, made by Central Milling Co.), I found out that if you buy a case (8 bags), they'll give you a 10% discount.  They even let me mix/match all purpose and whole wheat.

I thought I'd pass this along for anyone interested!

polo's picture

Barley Malt Powder

January 25, 2011 - 7:10am -- polo
Forums: 

I've done a quick search on this subject. but I am still a little confused. I have need for diastatic malt powder. I've searched local in my local shops here, but have only been able to fine a product labeled as "Barley Malt Powder", it contains no other ingredients.

So here is my question: If the product is labeled simply "Barley Malt Powder" how can one tell whether it is diastatic or non-diastatic. I know the difference between the two, I am just wondering which one I purchased. The constistency is that of a fine flour and it is mildly sweet, if that helps.

hydestone's picture

King Arthur Sir Galahad

January 22, 2011 - 7:56pm -- hydestone
Forums: 

I've never baked with anything other than KA flours: APF, Unbleached BF, White Whole Wheat and 100% Whole Wheat.  I've noticed KA Sir Galahad Flour is mentioned a lot in this forum.  What type of advantage does this style of flour have over the typical ones listed above which are sold in the grocery store?  Is it used for all types of breads in place of Unbleached Bread Flour?

Also, any idea where I can pick up 50# bags of flour in the Boston, MA area?

bobchristenson's picture

Eden bulk flour

January 22, 2011 - 10:29am -- bobchristenson
Forums: 

I am looking to buy bulk flour (all purpose and wheat) and Eden mills it in my home state of Michigan. I found this and am wondering if anyone has purchased it:

http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_67&products_id=111440

The description says it's all purpose, whole wheat, and bread flour. Obviously it's not all of them. I'm wondering if anyone knows which it would be considered?

Thanks for any feedback

mdunham21's picture

Frozen Dough

January 13, 2011 - 6:52pm -- mdunham21
Forums: 

Last weekend I made some baguettes using a a pate fermentee.  I made the pre-ferment the night before and put it in the refrigerator over night.  the following day i mixed the dough and still had some pate fermentee left over.  I put it in a bowl and let it be while i tended to my dough.  After y main dough had risen i pulled off a little over a pound to use another time.  I froze both the dough and the pre-ferment and will be using them this weekend.  I have not worked with dough straight out of the freezer before and could use some guidance.

Cheers!

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Ingredients