The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Baking Equipment

Any questions or recommendations dealing with stand mixers, baking stones, or any other baking equipment.

pjaj's picture

Got my new Kenwood Chef Titanium.

April 3, 2013 - 8:32am -- pjaj

After 40+ years and two rebuilds my old Kenwood Chef Major A707 is just about to give up the ghost again. Spare parts are now almost impossible to find and my only other option was to have it completely refurbished by a company that completely strips, re-enammels and rebuilds old Kenwoods completely. However they always seem to be fully booked when  I visit their site and can't take on new work.

So I ordered a new Kenwood Chef Titanium KMM020 from John Lewis, and they price matched an offer I had found elsewhere - saved £200!

Deb Congrove's picture

Baking business in home and ovens

March 28, 2013 - 3:12pm -- Deb Congrove

Hello,

This is my first time posting, though I have learned many valuable things through this site.

I have been working out of my home for 1 1/2 years now, making cinnamon rolls, tea rings, and related baked goods. I have a separate kitchen in the basement that is a licensed commercial kitchen. (I am in Michigan). I would like to increase my output. I am looking at maybe a Hobart 20 qt. mixer. My Kitchen Aide 7 qt. (2003) has been very good, but I am afraid it needs to rest! I also just have a standard kitchen oven. 

RodInBangkok's picture

Help with name for type of commercial dough Mixer

March 27, 2013 - 5:17pm -- RodInBangkok

At about 2:40 in the attached video is a shot of a dough mixer. It uses opposing arms, and I cannot remember the name for this type of mixer. Searched some for dough mixer types but could not readily find any that were similar to the one in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2A-Wj4cG0A

I'm looking for the proper industry term for this type of mixer.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

hotdogg1boy's picture

Cuisinart Combo Steam and Convection Oven

March 23, 2013 - 3:11pm -- hotdogg1boy

I just joined this site and although I've known about it for some time, I've decided that I wanted to let everyone know about what I found.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-combo-steam-and-convection-oven/

This appears to be a super deal on a steam oven.  This is the only place I've found that sells this.  Couldn't even find it on Cuisinart's website.

Juergen Krauss's picture

New Kitchen Toys

March 17, 2013 - 1:28pm -- Juergen Krauss

In Germany you get some wholegrain breads baked in cylindrical tins. Here in the UK I have been on the lookout for suitable cylindrical objects for a while.

Yesterday I found them in ASDA - two stainless steel utensil tubs for GBP 7. Brilliant.

I tempered them and tried them out with a variation of Hamelman's Vollkornbrot With Sunflower Seeds. The loaf above is 900g.

Cheers,

Juergen 

Mamatomany's picture

Electrolux assistent -- can it mash potatoes?

March 13, 2013 - 5:44pm -- Mamatomany

So, I'm about to pull the trigger on an electrolux mixer purchase. I plan to use it to make large batches of dough on a regular basis, but I also want to use it to make mashed potatoes, which are a big favorite among my kids.  Can an electrolux mixer do a decent job with these?  

loafgeek's picture

Food-grade Covered Dough Bin for the Refrigerator--Recommendation Please

March 12, 2013 - 8:16pm -- loafgeek

I'd like to replace my old "dough bin": a plastic shoe box which probably isn't food-grade.

Any recommendations for a quality made food grade dough bin?  I'd like to be able to fit it on a shelf in the refrigerator, taking up about half the width of the shelf--but can be plenty deep.

I think glass would actually be ideal since it would be the safest and also easiest to keep sterile.

Thanks!

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Baking Equipment