Earlier this week on a rainy day working from home, I fed my starter with 50% dark rye flour and 50% bread flour. The next morning I made a dough with 10 ounces starter, 11 ounces water, 16 ounces of bread flour, and a teaspoon or two of salt. All measurements are approximate: this wasn't something I tended to carefully, just a "background process" that I had running while doing other things.
That was a much larger proportion of ripe starter to fresh flour than I usually bake with but, boy, let me tell you, did this dough ever pop. I folded it two or three times during the day, shaped it in the afternoon, and an hour later baked it in the pot I got with the Average Joe Bread Kit. 465 preheat, 425 bake, 25 minutes covered and another 30 minutes or so uncovered.
It came out great. One of the best rising loaves I've ever made, and incredibly thin, crackly crust. The only real flaw was that I overdid it with the flour on the outside while it was rising, but that's easy enough to brush off.
* * *
Hey! If any of you are Tumblr users, we started a blog for The Fresh Loaf there. Follow us! It'll mostly just point recipes and posts here, though we'll also recirculate good baking posts we find on Tumblr.