The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

the_partisan's picture

Going from two feedings a day to a single feeding?

July 22, 2017 - 10:57pm -- the_partisan

After having some problems with my starter staying in the fridge for a periods and getting some off smell and flavours, I started a new starter (using Hamelman's method) which has been making great bread. I feed it twice daily, with 15g old starter and 50g flour (half white / half rye or other whole grain) and 60g water, so 13% prefermented flour in feedings. It peaks at about 10h and then around 12h I give it another feed when the peak has slightly fallen down. I typically use room temperature or slightly warmer (30C) water.

DanAyo's picture

Dutch Oven Baking

July 21, 2017 - 12:38pm -- DanAyo

I just finished baking my first Tartine Bread. I followed the directions and preheated to 500°. Placed the dough into the pot and lowered oven to 450°. Baked 20 minutes with top on and 20 minutes with top off. The bread registered 209° when I removed it from the oven. I placed on a cooling rack for an hour and a half until bread was cooled down and then cut it. Crumb was nice and the crust was (exceptional) thin and crispy.

Zuurdesem's picture

Bulk fermentation ain't happening

July 21, 2017 - 7:31am -- Zuurdesem

Hi breadlovers,

I'm a home baker from Belgium. I'm having trouble with my sourdough bread.

The facts:

The picture is from my dough 3 hours and 4 stretch and folds in the bulk fermentation. The dough stays very wet and sticky. It never becomes smooth or holds its edges. (No bubbles appear). It stays a wet mess. 

DanAyo's picture

How much starter?

July 19, 2017 - 4:35pm -- DanAyo

I want to starter a levan and then ferment at room temperature for 12 hours before mixing it in the the dough.The recipe including the levan will have a total of 1100 grams of flour. I've read on the forum that 5% of total flour is on the low side for starting a levan. I figure 55 grams would be the amount needed to make the levan. 

But, the recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of starter. I scooped a tablespoon of starter and it weighed only 15 grams.

Anonymous baker's picture

Quick answer needed

July 14, 2017 - 3:31pm -- Anonymous baker (not verified)

I'm following this recipe https://www.shipton-mill.com/baking/recipes/spelt-flour-bread-with-biga.htm and it's only been a few hours yet the biga has peaked (quadrupled) and begun to flatten out. Now this may be strange but I'm more familiar with sourdough nowadays. To me it seems a bit much to leave the biga at room temperature for 18-24 hours and it's peaked in just a few hours. Does this seem right? 

Got-to-Baguette-Up's picture

Starter Got Weak. Why?

July 14, 2017 - 12:17pm -- Got-to-Baguette-Up

Hello,

I've been making most everything with sourdough starter lately, and I'd been making that starter progressively stiffer.  It worked really well until I dropped from 60% hydration to 50%.  The first few loaves from the 50% starter were fine, and the noticeable extra-sourness encouraged me to keep the starter 50% stiff.  However, my loaves soon became dense.  I thought it was other factors, but now I believe it is the starter, as it seems low on gas, and the 'alive' feeling of properly fermented dough.  

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters