The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

DanAyo's picture

Dough Fermented Too Fast

July 4, 2017 - 4:50am -- DanAyo

I used JMonkey's recipe (link below) 
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/handbook/overnight-whole-grain-sourdough-wheat-spelt-amp-rye

Recipe says - Dough development and the first rise - the dough "needs to rise at room temperature for 8-10 hours."

I used 50 grams of healthy wet starter but by 5 hours it had overproofed. The bread sprang slightly in the oven and looks great, although I didn't get the lightness that I wanted.

ostpreussen's picture

Einkorn sourdough

July 3, 2017 - 8:43pm -- ostpreussen

First post from a long time reader........So I tried a variation on Reinhardts sourdough by substituting close to 50% einkorn (by weight.)  It turned out pretty good, although the crumb is a tad underdone for my liking. I have another one in the dutch oven as I type this and will let it bake a bit longer than the last one.  The crust turned out very nice, and the crumb has that particular nuttiness from the einkorn.  So far I am very excited about this variety of grain.  I think I may try a 100% version....any tips?

philm63's picture

Building Water for your Starter?

July 3, 2017 - 6:23pm -- philm63

Ok, among other "issues" that I'm working through with my starters, NOW I find that my WATER might be an issue...?!

Maybe I'm looking too far into this thing. Wait, no; I definitely AM looking too far into this thing! I'm actually considering building my own water for my sourdough starters and bread. Why not? It works for brewing beer - I never just use water from the source - bottled or otherwise - for making beer, I build it from scratch. I have to where I live now as the water is way off course.

Ogi the Yogi's picture

What to feed my 60% hydration starter?

July 2, 2017 - 12:13pm -- Ogi the Yogi

This is super embarrassing to ask but I cannot for the life of me figure this out, I might be over thinking this whole thing.

I converted some of my 100% hydration rye starter to 60% hydration. I wanted a 150 grams of starter for which I took 30 grams (100% starter) and fed it 79 grams flour and 41 grams water. Now I have 150 grams of 60% starter.

Well now I have to feed my stiff starter for the first time after building it and I don't know how much to feed it to keep the 60% hydration....

philm63's picture

Still Having some Doubts on my Fermenting and/or Proofing

July 2, 2017 - 6:23am -- philm63

Been a bit dismayed at my last several bakes as my loaves have been getting more and more dense lately, so I'm rebuilding my process and starting back at the basics.

Just completed a bake with my new levain build (3-stage) with my new experimental recipe - 70% hydration batch with 40% levain (20% fermented flour). Trying to get a batch that will rise properly and give a decent crumb.

I made a 2kg batch and divided it - one piece for a loaf pan and the other for a boule. All KA bread flour, levain is 100% with all KA AP. Very active levain this time - so far so good.

sallam's picture

Finally a sourdough starter that works: Whey Starter

July 1, 2017 - 1:06pm -- sallam

Greetings everyone

I'm so exited because, finally I made a successful starter. I had many tries before, but they always suffered the same problem: too much lab and too little yeast, even though I keep feeding for 14+ days.

This time it worked, probably due to a factor that I've missed all those years: lab multiply faster in RT, while yeast multiply faster in the fridge, or so it seems I guess, because all I did that worked this time is that I kept feeding it for only 7 days, then immediately after the last feed I moved it in the fridge.

Eonawi's picture

Sourdough brioche crumbs

June 30, 2017 - 9:43pm -- Eonawi

First of all, very sorry for posting several threads on bread crumbs. Not sure how I could upload multiple pictures from mobile phone, hence I decided to post on separate threads. Very sorry for any inconvenience caused. I would highly appreciate if anyone could let me know if the picture shows the right texture of sourdough brioche (the recipe is from the Fresh Loaf). Many thanks!

Eonawi's picture

Need Help -No Noticeable Oven Spring

June 30, 2017 - 9:38pm -- Eonawi

Hi all, I'm new to sourdough baking. I'm really looking for advice as to how to improve my crumbs & to experience a wonderful oven spring. Instead of rising, my bread spreads out in the oven. The water content is not too high at all. The dough is pretty firm & not too sticky. Is it any problem with my shaping skill? Your advice would be much appreciated. In addition, may I also have your input whether the crumb in my picture is still acceptable? I truly love the taste of the bread, it has right amount of chewiness, but sadly it came out more on the flat side.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters