The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

rpooley's picture

Maggie Glezer sourdough challah

February 4, 2018 - 9:34am -- rpooley

OK, so I've doing pretty well with my starter lately and decided to try this.  They did not come out well, very dense, crumb pretty solid.  I don't think it's the starter.

I was wondering if it was her bulk fermentation instructions.  She says knead only for 10 minutes but the dough did not seem very strong.  No turns at all.  I am wondering if I should have done some turns during the bulk fermentation even though she did not specify it.  Does anyone think turns are pretty mandatory in any starter/levain bread in order to get enough structure?

Thanks

Netanel's picture

how would i know if it's a bad stink or a good stink...?

February 4, 2018 - 3:59am -- Netanel

so.. i started my starter 60 hours ago. i fed it after the 48 hours and also now (12 hours later).

the starter is doubled in size and all seems like i read\watched.

but... it kinda stinks. the all kitchen now have a smell of yogurt-like. is it good? is it bad? 

BTW - how to know when I can use the starter to bake?

it's floating and it's rises

marto32's picture

What am I doing wrong? (Starter and Levain) - Flour Water Salt Yeast book

February 3, 2018 - 6:03am -- marto32

Hello,

I've been following Ken Forkish's Flour Water Salt Yeast and working through all the recipes in the book. I've been loving it so far and recommend it to any new bread bakers. I'm now at the section where you develop your own levain and after my 2nd failed attempt, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. After following all the instructions and using the levain in a dough recipe, it doesn't rise as it should.

harum's picture

70% dark rye / 30% whole wheat

February 1, 2018 - 6:21pm -- harum

In an attempt to reproduce the rye bread from a local farmer's market I baked this bread.  It is a four-stage sourdough bread, 70% dark rye, 30% whole wheat, 72% hydration, 1.8% salt, 2% molasses, 0.1% instant yeast.  30% of rye flour is scalded (5 hrs @ 155 F) together with baker's 5% of a 2:1 mixture of white and red rye malts.  The final dough had developed some gluten after mixing/kneading, not much though.  This bread tastes great; however, I think the bread from the market has less rye in it and more gluten. 

DanAyo's picture

Tip - Open Crumb Mastery - Convert PDF to Kindle

February 1, 2018 - 11:12am -- DanAyo

From what I’ve been reading, it looks like a lot of us have been reading Trevor’s book. All I hear is rave reviews and I couldn’t agree more.

I like the book so much that I printed out the entire book. I prefer print to digital. But, sadly after printing I discovered that there were no page number. < bummer > I plan to write the page numbers in. 

not.a.crumb.left's picture

Over-proofing, under-proofing sourdough or just bad shaping...what does it look like?

January 31, 2018 - 9:10am -- not.a.crumb.left

Hi, 

I am baking Sourdough since November and managed to get a couple of very good loaves done with a great crust and oven spring and even scoring and ears. That often happens when I do a long cold bulk fermentation in the fridge overnight and then shape and 2nd proof the dough and then bake. A bit like the recipe and process in url below only that I do not do the 2nd day retard in fridge in bannetons but bake on 2nd day with good results.https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/no-knead-sourdough

DanAyo's picture

Can I get great bread shipped to me?

January 31, 2018 - 3:23am -- DanAyo

I am very happy with the taste of my breads. But I’d like to know what really great breads taste like. I think my breads are fairly sour, but without comparisons how can I really know. Many will say, if you are happy with the bread you bake what does it matter? Because I like to learn the things I don’t know in the hope of improving the things I do. I’m forever looking to build a better mouse trap.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters