The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

Felila's picture

Nailed it on the sixth try

January 23, 2018 - 2:09pm -- Felila

65% hydration, both autolysand and starter, seems to be what I can handle.

I reduced the salt because one of my friends said that 11 grams was too salty. Took it down to 9. 

I think I might get more oven spring if I had a completely working oven. My oven's top element burned out, cannot be replaced, and the highest the oven goes is 360 F. Also, the bottom of the loaf might not turn out as thick. Just a little too toothsome,

ag911's picture

sourdough starter on other types of flour

January 23, 2018 - 7:15am -- ag911

Ok so in a common wheat sourdough, there are a multitude of yeasts and bacteria and each sourdough has a slightly different combination of them due to water/air/flour/etc... but the main ones are always present. I can imagine that in other wheat varieties, like emmer, einkorn or spelt, the flora is very similar as well.

In Marco Gobetti's Handbook on Sourdough Biotechnology, he has a chapter on GF sourdoughs and how it has had very little research in terms of the population of micro-organisms in each cereal, legume or grain flour.

Ronfrank's picture

Changing flour ratio in Tartine country bread

January 22, 2018 - 4:30pm -- Ronfrank

I am new here but have been baking bread the past couple years using a no-knead sour dough method. I have been mostly satisfied except for not having much of an open crumb. I just tried a standard recipe for Tartine country bread (with adaption for refrigerated bulk fermentation) and the results were exactly what I was looking for. I would like to increase the whole wheat from 10% to 30-50% (and maybe add rye and/or seeds) and am wondering if there are other modifications that need to be considered in making those modifications to the recipe?

Thanks, Ron

TheUninvited's picture

Making the bread, should you feed it before making the bread or just use the sourdough starter?

January 22, 2018 - 10:21am -- TheUninvited

As the title says so this is my first time making the bread and i am wondering should i feed it first before taking the starter to put on the flour or should you feed it first and then use it on the flour?

DanAyo's picture

Most Efficient Kneading Techniques

January 22, 2018 - 3:38am -- DanAyo

There are so many ways to knead dough. Slap, stretch, fold, pull, roll, and the such. It seems that the gluten is most efficiently formed by some kind of stretching.   

Since I’ve been kneading my starter (dough) twice a day, I’ve had plenty of short practices. 

If stretching is the most efficient way to develop gluten. I thought that rolling the dough out, as you would a very long baguette and then folding that “rope” in half, then half again, until the length was shortened as much as possible. Then roll out the dough again and repeat the above.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters