The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

cdnDough's picture

What to do with an underbaked miche?

November 19, 2008 - 5:02pm -- cdnDough

Well, my first real bread disaster... a snow knocked out my power and I'm left with a whole wheat sourdough miche that was cooked at 400 and eventually to 300F for an hour.  The oven kick was poor and while a crust formed, the insides are dense and gummy.  While I'm happy enough to trash it and try again tomorrow, I thought I'd ask... is there anything I can do with a gummy sourdough loaf?

knit1bake1's picture

Off taste with artisan bread in five?

November 19, 2008 - 10:48am -- knit1bake1

Hi all. I usually make sourdough or "nearly" sourdough loaves, but I've had a weird schedule, and I couldn't make my normal whole wheat loaf, so I thought I'd give another go at artisan in 5, since I'll prob. be using that more in some rented apartments I'll be in in the next few months (won't have my normal bread equipment with me). I decided to adapt the whole wheat recipe so that I was using 2/3 whole wheat, 1/3 bread flour. I used buttermilk powder (instead of buttermilk) and honey as directed.

Wild-Yeast's picture

It Works!

November 19, 2008 - 12:05am -- Wild-Yeast

The rough mixed dough (~1.5 minutes) followed immediately by a hydration rest works a charm!  Also worked on forming a really tight skin prior to rising.  Oven spring, bloom and ear formation is the stuff of baking book graphics...,

Crumb test will have to wait till tomorrow.

Wild-Yeast

ehanner's picture

Aprilsky Spring Onion Rolls!

November 18, 2008 - 1:19pm -- ehanner

A few weeks ago Aprilsky posted her recipe for Spring Onion rolls and it looked delicious! I made it right away and had planned to post my version but it got vacuumed off the counter by hungry pirates before I could do justice to it. So, Here is my recreation of a very nice recipe for a fast start breakfast. Thank you April!

mean_jeannie's picture

dough not having first rise

November 18, 2008 - 10:41am -- mean_jeannie

Hello!  I began making my own yeast breads this summer when it was nice and warm and humid. I am pretty good at making a sandwich loaf but have been struggling to make dinner rolls.  I am getting off topic - I am trying to make a batch of dinner rolls but my dough has not made the first rise.  It has been sitting in my oven for approximately two hours now.  I am sure it is a combination of temperature (cold kitchen) and my inexperienced kneading technique. 

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking