Having to work at home for the foreseeable future, I wanted to pick a new-to-me bread project. I remembered that I have around 20 lbs of rye berries (thanks to GrowNYC grains), and decided to make this a period of rye experimentation, having never made very high percent rye breads. I've been looking for recipes that call for whole rye because I don't want to sift my home milled flour.
To start, I made this loaf from Hamelman's Bread. What a trip! I didn't mix the soaker (I thought the recipe implies to do this), and it only got about half hydrated. Trying to shape the final dough was a losing battle, so I approximated boules, and let them final proof on the baking tray.
Looking back, I should have done the final proof in brotforms, which would have given them a smooth and nice look. Instead the crusts are quite shaggy, even pointy.
Having baked them yesterday afternoon, I just dug in, and I am shocked by how much I enjoy this bread! It has an amazing aroma of imperial stout, and a lovely taste. Not very sour (as I like). The only thing I didn't like was that the crust is a bit tough, although this is solved by toasting.
If you have suggestions for more high % whole rye recipes, please do share!
Happy baking, and stay safe!