Need help troubleshooting
My name is Olga and I'm new to TFL. I recently started to bake sourdough bread and constantly running into an issue of not getting nice open crumb and sufficient oven rise. I read a lot and tried a lot of things, but the result is always quite the same no matter what I do. I will bring my recent bake as an example, though there were some things done differently than I usually do (for example this time I used more leaven). Maybe someone here can help me indentify the problem as I start running out of thoughts and motivtion to bake.
My starter is fed white bread flour at 100% hydration, usually in 1:4:4 to 1:5:5 proportions. I keep it at the room temperature and feed every 12h to 24h. It usually doubles to triples in volume within 8h- 10h if I out water at room temperature. Warmer water would speed up the cycle. This time I fed starter last 11h before making a leaven.
I made leaven with white bread flour at 100% hydration in 1:5:5 ratio. I used warm water 32C (around 90F) and out it into warm place aronud 28C (82F). In 5 hours it was almost tripled in volume, nice and bubbly.
This time I aimed 1:2:3 proportions and left out any other flour rather then white bread flour. So I used:
495 g white bread flour (14g protein)
5 g diastatic malt
333 g water
166 g leaven
10 g salt
I autolysed flour, malt and water for 4 hours. Long, I know, I wanted to try a long autolyse, because no luck with shorter ones. Dough after autolys was beautiful, stretchy, very manageble with great windowpane sign.
I added leaven, mixed a little by hand in a bowl, then sprinkled with salt and spritzed with 2g of water. Mixed by hand in a bowl, then did slap and folds on a counter for about 15 min total. Dough was manageble and stretchy, quite good-looking after minimum mixing. In the end of mixing it still looked good and was maybe even more stretchy. I put a dough sample into a little and marked a baseline to track volume increse. Covered the bowl and put both bowl and jar into oven with only light on.
Bulk and stretch and folds
I bulked for 4 hours and did 3 set of stretch and folds with about 40 min intervals. In the end of bulk fermentation dough had incresed in volume by more then 2x. It was light and airy, so I finished bulk fearing I would overproof if push further
I pre-shaped boule folding dough and rolling over itself. It held shape quite good. It had bench rest arounf 25 min. Then I turned it over, repeated folding an rollid, then shaped with hands in half-circular motion (How much am I supposed to shape? How I know it's time to stop?). Then I dipped dough into sesame seeds and put into floured banneton. I shaped it a little stitching together inside a banneton too.
I final proofed at room temperature, because I used so much leaven and leaving it overnight would make bread too sour for my boyfriends taste. So it proofed around 2h on the counter. It had some rise inside banneton and during poke test was soft, spinging gently back but not all the way back. Then I put it into the fridge to ease the scoring while heating the oven.
I bake in a cast iron pot. I pre-heat pot with lid on to 230 C (446 F). I scored the loaf and put in into pot, than sprayed some water over it. Covered the lid and put in the oven.
I bake by Vanessa Kimbells books recomendation 1h at 180C (356F) with lid and 5 min without lid. I've tried higher temps, shorter overall time and longer time without lid, but then the crust get too hard and I have sensitive gums that just start to bleed while eating this bread.
I add some pictures too.