Putting Marmalade into [Rye] Bread
There's been talk about using preserves for flavour in bread as you can see in my other forum post. A while back I did a Swedish Rye Bread (for which I have also posted a more recent bake here) and having no zester I substituted the orange zest for marmalade with fantastic results. The flavour shines through and gives the crumb a very good texture. Also think that rye does better with acidity and makes for a good pairing. I'll post my write up here, from breadtopia, and while some of it may not make too much sense since I was answering some points from previous posts you'll get the gist of it. You'll also see how I worked out the substitution should you wish to try it.
1: Had no anise seed so used extra fennel instead. Between caraway and fennel I think fennel is most like anise seed.
2: Instead of using the usual molasses I used carob molasses instead. It is more liquid than the thick viscous cane molasses.
3: Had no oranges and even if I did I have no zester. So I used 20g orange marmalade jam instead. Don’t know if a perfect substitute but should be interesting!
4: Because of points 2 & 3, the more liquid molasses and the 20g jam, I reduced the water by 20g to try and get the same properties for the final dough when it comes to hydration. It seemed to give me a good result which was very similar to Eric’s dough.
The bread flour I used was a very strong 15% protein Canadian flour by Marriage’s and I used Dove’s Farm wholegrain rye.
The dough was sticky however by the time I finished the last of the stirring folding kneading alternative method it had strengthened up very well. The dough was holding itself together and had strength to it even though it was sticky. Left it to bulk ferment overnight.
This morning it was very well risen, much more so than Eric’s dough in the video, and seemed over done and far too sticky to handle just by looking at it however when doing the folds the dough soon tightened up and had a good strong structure. Shaping was not as difficult as I thought it might be just by looking at the risen dough.
I did not final proof in a basket. As per Eric’s advice, and I can see what he means, this dough would really suit a cloth lined banneton due to its sticky nature. So I final proofed and baked it in a lekue - silicone pouch. More support than freestanding or in a cloche but more room to expand then a loaf pan. While this method of baking obviously gave me a big advantage for a tall loaf I have to say even I was surprised. I’ve done other less challenging loaves this way which produced less oven spring so while I was expecting this method to help I wasn’t expecting such good results. This loaf exceeded my expectations and while I would have lost height on a stone or in a cloche I think there’s still potential for good oven spring. Something which I suspected when shaping due to feeling how much strength it had and a good gluten formation.