Swedish Rye Sourdough
My take on this marvellous recipe by Breadtopia. Born more out of convenience than a need to change anything. This was a last minute bake so used unfed starter at a lower inoculation for a long bulk ferment. Used carob molasses which I find more liquid than the usual molasses which I would think upped the hydration. However because I used less starter I put the difference of the flour only back into the recipe. That and dispersing the starter in a bit of extra water before adding I think made up for everything bringing it back in line with the final hydration.
- Water 400g
- Rye Sourdough Starter @ 120% hydration 1 tsp (mixed into some water)
- Whole Rye Flour 245g
- Bread Flour 245g
- Whole Wheat Flour^ 35g
- Carob Molasses 44g
- Fennel Seed° 8g
- Anise Seed° 2g
- Caraway Seed° 3g
- Salt 12g
- Orange Oil (8 drops which is the equivalent to the zest of 1 orange)
°seeds were all ground into a bread spice
^Flour equivalent of 70g starter from the original recipe + different type of molasses and mixing the starter in some water brought everything more or less back into balance for hydration.
Very similar to the original recipe except with a 16 hour bulk ferment with a set of stretch and folds (doable if you run your hand under the cold water tap first) a couple of hours after mixing the dough and another set in the morning. Then it was left to finish off the bulk ferment till it was ready which was about 16 hours after the initial mix. Shaped into a Pullman and final proofed till ready about 1 hour 15 minutes.
Taste is as expected... Wonderful! This is lovely recipe with a permanent position in my baking repertoire.