Sourdough troubleshooting: over or underproofed? Or something else?
I've just started sourdough baking again after a year or two of not doing it--I've relocated since the last time I was baking. When it comes to sourdough, I'm mainly just using it for daily bread and I was turning out satisfying loaves with good spring on a consistent basis with my starter and recipe. As a result, I haven't delved deep into what's going right or wrong. Now that I'm in a new location and using a new starter (I built the most recent one with the NMNF method), I'm getting results that I'm not expecting, but which I suppose are consistent on their own.
Here's my most recent loaf:
It's a 1000g boule; I used about 210g of pre-ferment (10g starter, 100 rye flour, 100 water), with three folds every 30 minutes. Bulk fermentation was about 2 hours, pre-shape and rest, then shaped and proved for about an hour. I did the bulk fermentation somewhere near 82-84 F with a heating pad, and the proofing was around 70-72 F, the ambient temp in my kitchen. I preheated my electric oven at 500 (max it can go) with a baking steel, and once I loaded the bread and introduced some steam, dropped the temp to 450 for 30 minutes, than 375 for another 20.
I think the loaf looks a little stout and I wish that the scoring had produced ears instead of spreading. While I'm open to whatever may have gone wrong, my thought is that the issue may be that the loaf was under or overproofed. I just can't tell which side I'm on here. I'd be really grateful for any commentary/help.
Thank you very much!