Hamelman's Whole Wheat Multigrain - what happens when TxFarmer leaves TX?
Sending this to Yeastspotting.
We are moving! New job awaits in Seattle, we are packing up everything (including my baking stone and 10+ different kinds of flour), selling the house, leaving town in less than 10 days. I am excited for the new beginning, but, can I still keep the name "TxFarmer" now that I am not living in TX, and our new home will be in downtown Seattle? :P
With the pending move, I am trying my best to use up ingredients, a good chunk of my grain supply went into this bread. The formula is from Hamelman's "Bread", but I increased hydration a tiny bit (trust me, it's still a dryer dough), and left out the instant yeast.
Note: makes one 550g loaf
bread flour 54g
starer (100%) 10g
1. Mix and let rise at room temp for 12 hours.
2. Mix and soak overnight
- final dough
bread flour 173
whole wheat flour 227g
3. Mix everything but salt autolyse for 20 to 60min, add salt, mix @ medium speed for 3-4 min until gluten starts to develope.
4. Bulk rise at room temp (~75F) for about 3hrs. S&F at 50, 100, 150min.
5. Shape into boule, put in basketes smooth side down, put in fridge over night.
6. Next morning take the dough out to finish proofing, about 100min for me. Score.
7. Bake at 460F with steam for the first 15min, take out the pan with water, keep baking @450F for another 30min.
Pretty open crumb for such a dry dough with 50%ww and so much grains. For the grain blend, I used oats, rye flakes, cornmeal, flaxmeal, and cracked wheat, complemented by rich ww taste, creating a flavorful loaf.