I have been struggling for months with batards, scoring and getting proper bloom. Well, I have had success two bakes in a row now as a result in two new procedures. I would like to do a shout out to alphonso for the video he posted a while back. Thanks alan, your video has been most helpful to me!
The two small changes were to put the loaf into the fridge for the last 10 minutes of proofing and dipping my lame in water prior to scoring. Ear on the first bake at 200 grams and a half ear on this one at 370 grams. I will call this loaf VanGogh as it only has a half an ear.
Great oven explosion on this bake. the fully proofed loaf was about as long as the baked one, but only about 2 inches in diameter, so I am super happy with the bloom! This batch of dough was 350 g total flour @ 75% hydration. I used 25 g durham semolina and the rest strong bread flour, 50 grams liquid levain and 5 g salt. I will note that I had fed my levain three days in a row. It sure made a difference in oven spring, ah explosion. Very satisfying.
Here is a crumb shot:
I find the addition of a little semolina adds some real snap to the crust and a nice subtle flavour add in a lean loaf.
Well is the May holiday long weekend here in Canada. Naturally here in my mountain town it is 4C with steady rain expected to turn to snow as the temperature drops. This is normal. It is also a great day to bake some stuff! With the terrible fires in the north east of my province, I pray that some of this rain gets to Fort McMurray and area! I great this rain with great relief as the area had been tinder dry and this takes the wildfire risk down to low. There are still nearly 90,000 people from the fire area. Prayers!
Happy baking! Ski