Today's Bread Extravaganza - 09-20-2022
Good morning campers. I thought I'd start a thread following my progress on making some bread today. As I mentioned in a previous post my first attempt, while edible, was not a stellar success as I had overhydrated the dough and it fell quite a lot and didn't crisp up. Today I am being very careful and following the advice given in other threads where I've been asking How To questions.
So this morning I used my starter from last night's feeding. The recipe I'm following calls for 227g of fed started. Dividing that by three to get equal weights water, flour, and starter I came up with approximately 75g each. But according to one source here that should actually double in size and almost double in weight, so I should actually end up with more than the required 227g. Anyway, that has been ripening now for over two and a half hours and I'm looking at a total of four hours ripening time before use. Meanwhile the rest of this morning's starter has been fed and is itself ripening for later use, and discard from that has been put away in the fridge (pancakes are really yummy, but I have a bunch in the freezer so will probably make crumpets instead of banana nut bread because yes, I have no bananas... you sang that, didn't you).
Here is the starter I'll be using in the bread. I had to get close with my phone, so the top is out of focus, but you can see the bubbles on the side, and a bit on the top, though blurry. Wish me luck. I've got about and hour and a half more ripening of this before I start actually making dough. I should get two boules out of this batch (I really want to get some round bannetons, and they may not be necessary, but we'll see how it goes forming the boules by hand today).
Finally, for context, here is the list of ingredients from the recipe I'm using:
1 cup (227g) ripe (fed) sourdough starter
1 1/2 cups (340g) water, lukewarm
1 to 2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 1/2 teaspoons (15g) salt
5 cups (600g) Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
All comments are welcome. I'll post more to this thread as the project progresses.