Claus Meyer's Oland Bread
I decided to give this a try as I found some Oland flour at a local farmer's market. I was a bit concerned with the hydration level as it is 90% and I never worked with a dough that wet before. I had a terrible experience with a 75% hydration dough that still gives me nightmares.(it was due to poor flour quality). I did manage to get the measurements in grams which was very helpful.
I decided to reduce the hydration to about 80% and use my stand mixer. I made sure to get good gluten development without over kneading the dough. I put it to proof as directed but when I checked it in the morning it barely rose but did show signs of fermentation activity. I decided that I would shape the dough and put it to finish proofing in banneton baskets. I am not sure if this was a good or bad thing. They proofed up about 2 hours later testing it using the poke test. I baked them without a dutch oven but used lava rocks to create steam in my oven.
I think the loaves I made came out ok. They were very tasty even though they didn't have the same crumb that his loaves did. I also thought the oven spring was decent as I was concerned about not using a dutch oven.
I found this process a bit interesting since it was similar but had clear differences to the "traditional" sourdough process I was used to. Much less starter was used for the amount of flour included and I didn't get any real sour notes. It was tasty and good for those in my household that don't like a sour loaf all the time.
I plan to try it again using the traditional sourdough stretch and fold/bulk fermentation method to see if anything changes.
I would love to hear how this recipe may have worked for others that have tried it. Thanks for taking the time to read.