Having spent some time experimenting I've now found an approach to making sourdough where...
- I only have to do anything to my starter once a month (or less!)
- I can make bread whenever I want it without having to refresh my starter beforehand
- I can bake to a flexible schedule (e.g. 5 minutes before I go to bed at night gives fresh sourdough for lunch the next day)
- it takes less than 20 minutes total effort to produce two loaves
- it makes great-tasting / reliable bread!
I've posted my approach on my blog at https://threeonabike.co.uk/2020/05/27/easy-sourdough. If you're interested check it out and I'd love to know what you think!