Bringing my recipe to the sourdough clinic. Loaf did not rise much
At last I managed to make sourdough bread that was not too bad in texture and taste.
The only problem with it was that it didn't rise much. It was as flat as a ciabatta. I know that this must be one of the most common questions asked here and I thought I could seek some expert advice from you folks.
Here are my notes for the recipe.
The temperature during the daytime was about 23º C (73º F) and at night I guess it fell down to 16º C (61º F).
Starter: 100% rye flour
Quantities: Starter 25g
Fed with: 40g bread flour and 40ml water
Feeding time: 10 hours overnight (20:00 to 06:00)
Second feed: N/A
Feeding time: N/A
Total after feedings: 100 g
Salt: 1 tsp
Flour: 307 bread flour
Water 190 ml (excluding starter)
Process start: 06:30
The starter was very bubbly on top not so much at the sides of the container, about doubled in size and smelled sour.
Mixed ingredients and left them in a covered bowl for 30 minutes.
At 07:00 first stretch and fold inside bowl, with wet fingers and spatula.
At 08:00 second stretch and fold inside bowl, with wet fingers and spatula.
At 10:00 third stretch and fold on lightly moistened worktop with wet fingers and spatula.
At 12:30 fourth stretch and fold on lightly floured worktop with dry fingers and spatula. Shaped into a boule.
Placed in lightly floured banneton seam side up. Floured the top of the dough lightly.
Covered banneton with cling wrap and placed banneton in a plastic bag.
Placed banneton in fridge.
At 06:50 removed the dough from the fridge. Preheated DO to 220º C.
At 07:07 scored the dough and placed it in DO. [I forgot to spray the inside of the DO with water as I meant to do]
At 07:20 reduced the temperature to 215º C.
At 07:32 removed the DO lid.
At 07:45 finished baking.
Rested loaf for 45 minutes before cutting it.
Some points to note: The proofed dough coming out of the fridge had risen very little (almost imperceptibly). It was relatively flat. When I scored it I saw that it was sticky and moist inside the cuts. I didn't really let it come to room temperature, because I was afraid its floppy state would worsen over time.