Second attempt at Kirsten's formula (community bake)
After my last attempt I decided to reduce the autolyse time and see if it helped. I made 2 x 600gm loaves - one had 1 hour autolyse, the other had 2 hour autolyse. I withheld 20 gms water in both and found this made a huge difference. I did 100 SLAFs, rested 5 minutes then added salt and did another 100 SLAFs.
I also shortened the rest periods between folds to 30 minutes - 1 fold before lamination and 3 afterwards. Bulk ferment took in total six and a half hours for loaf 1 (1 hour autolyse) and 7 hours 40 minutes for loaf 2 (2 hour autolyse). Both loaves were shaped and left on bench for 30 minutes then retarded overnight.
Next day my bake started a little later than usual as I had an 8:15 appointment so overnight retard was about 14 hours. Baked at 240 deg C for 16 minutes in closed DO then lid off for another 16 minutes.
Top image is loaf 1.
Still getting to grips with my new oven and would have liked a bit more colour.
Crumb shot loaf 1
Crumb shot loaf 2
Side by side comparison
Looking at the side by side comparison, I think 1 hour autolyse (lower loaf) is better with my flour although I may try again another time. Much happier with the crumb this time and dough seemed to have more strength to hold its shape.
It is a lovely bread and will get baked again I think.
Bake happy everyone