Sourdough Boule Uneven Crumb
I have been baking on and off for ~3 years. I typically bake a sourdough boule 2-3 times a month. The bread tastes great but I have always struggled to create an even crumb throughout the bread. I used to believe it had to do with my proof time, but i have tried varying it both long and shorter with not a whole lot of improvement. The trouble is that the outside of my loaf has an open airy crumb, while the middle is a bit denser.
1. feed starter twice over 24 hours after bringing out of fridge.
2. combine starter and other ingredients except salt and autolyse for 30 minutes.
3. quick hand kneed for ~2-3 minutes
4. stretch and fold every 30-45 minutes for next 3 hours
5. final stretch and fold out of bowl, and initial rough shaping
6. tension top of dough and place in proofing basket
7. proof for 3+ hours
8. bake in dutch oven
8.1. 20 minutes with lid on at 500 f
8.2. 20 minutes with lid off at 425 f
Below is a photo from my most recent load, the sliced piece was from the outside and is much more open.
I let this loaf proof a bit longer than the last which had more oven spring but the inside looked nearly identical. Sorry no inside photos of the last loaf.