Can't get an expanding crust
Hello everyone and all the experienced baker!
I've been trying to make sourdough bread for a very long time but I never got an beautiful expanding crust and the bread is very chewy.
In this picture, I use:
- 160g bread flour
- 45g of whole wheat flour
- 160g water
- 4g salt
- 60g 1:1 whole wheat starter
- Autolyse 3 hours
- add starter, mix, rest 30 mins
- add salt, mix, rest 30 mins
- fold 30 mins
- lamination 30 mins
- coil fold 3 times at 45 minutes interval
- cold ferment for another 16 hours
- Dust with brown rice flour, score with a dull knife coz I don't have lame.
- Bale in a saucepan with small stone and ice cube aside for steam at 220'C (that's the highest my oven can go) for 20 mins, then remove the lid for another 20 mins.
This is what I got. And this is what I got all the time no matter what recipe I tried...
Please help :( I don't want to give up!