The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

Cinco de Mayo - 2014

  • Pin It
dabrownman's picture
dabrownman

Cinco de Mayo - 2014

It all started off with tasso, potato and egg breakfast burrito smothered in red sauce with cheese.

Then it took nearly the whole day to get dinner ready to go.

 

The rice looked god br=efire being cooked.  The pinto, purano & black bean refried looked fine before mashing.

The red and green sauces each had 6 different chilies in them, the green cheese and smoked chicken enchiladas had 5 different cheeses, the red smoked chicken and corn tamales, Brownman’s killer beans and green Mexican rice, the home grown salad with home grown heirloom tomatoes, pico de gillo made with home grown cherry tomatoes and the apple and pear crisp for dessert.

Not a bad way to celebrate our southern neighbors holiday and we love holiday so of all kinds around here especially if they include margaritas and Dos XX’s!

Tonight is leftovers with chicken tostados and tacos thrown into the mix to freshen things up a little.

Hope everyone had a great Cinco de Mayo.

Comments

gmabaking's picture
gmabaking

Either way that must have been one great day of beautiful and tasty food, one meal after another-whew-where did you and Lucy ever find the energy to eat anything? I love celebrating everyone's holidays and as you said, especially those where you can make creative food like this! You sure had one great cooking day!

What are you making for Mother's Day?

Barbra

dabrownman's picture
dabrownman

didn't have time to make lunch, which ended up being a good thing, with all the food we had to eat for dinner!  Plenty of sides over for tonight's taco and tostada follow up :-)

Glad you liked the feast.  The celebration of life is a worthy reason for any get together - especially Twister Sister ones!  Lucy hasn't ask my wife what she wants for her special day but ,what ever it is, my daughter will join us in the fun of making it.

Happy Baking Barbara - can't wait to get some tomato soup made - maybe tomorrow...... a your net bake!

isand66's picture
isand66

That's a feast worthy of a coronation!  All I can say is WOW!

You must send me your recipes for all these ridiculously amazing dishes.

Happy Cinco de Mayo from the Sandman clan :).

I just took a Porridge bread out of the oven and I'm baking off a multi-grain bread in a couple of hours.

Look forward to your next bake...if it's anywhere as good as your food in this writeup it will be well worth the wait.

Ian

dabrownman's picture
dabrownman

easy enough since they are all in my dayghter's cookbook.  W had tacos and tostadas last night and a fine Chinese 5 spice, chicken, stir fry tonight,  It is great to have so many frozen left overs to pull out when Lucy is too lazy to cook!

You bread bakes of porridge and multi-grain sound terrific.  Can't wait to see them. 

We have a simple 9 grain 85% extraction for this Frday's bake by leaving out the feeding the 15% hard bits to the levain this time,  The levain still doubled in one hour after the 3rd feeding anyway.  This starter is really something.  Glad you liked the CDM food Ian.

Lucy says Hi to her Baking Buddies

isand66's picture
isand66

Thanks.  Look forward to your recipes and your next bake.

I will post mine as soon as I get a chance in the next couple of days.

Regards,
Ian

dabrownman's picture
dabrownman

Ian

isand66's picture
isand66

Got them!  Thanks a lot.  They all look amazing.

dabrownman's picture
dabrownman

buritos, tamales and enchiladas - enchilada style.  To do that, just take the thicker red and green sauces on the inside,  thin them out with chicken stock and pour the green and red sauce on.  The pictures were taken before the sauce went on otherwise all you would see what red and green sauce:-)