The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

My best Tartine bread attempt to date

kensbread01's picture

My best Tartine bread attempt to date

I made two loaves of Tartine bread starting with Christmas eve overnight fermentation and baking on Christmas day.  I thought this was not going to work because the dough had really started to rise at room temperature and in my proofing box (microwave oven) to double it's size.  I thought that I was going to have a problem with over proofing and hence, get a gassed out final loaf.  But it ended up being my best bread to date.  I gave one loaf to my mom and the other was ours for eating.  My, this is a great recipe (Chad Robertson's) and if you are patient and learn from mistakes, I'm confident anyone can achieve similar results.

PatrickS's picture

Nice! Hopefully that will be me soon. 

Bakingmadtoo's picture

That is a lovely looking crumb. 

carblicious's picture

The crumb looks fantastic.  Congrats on the great looking bread.

rossnroller's picture

Congrats, Ken!


WoodenSpoon's picture

Oh nelly that looks good!


isand66's picture

Beautiful looking loaves!

breadsong's picture

Beautiful bread and a lovely gift to give! :^)

dabrownman's picture

yoiu go.  Perfectly baked to that dark brown crust with a nice open crumb that we like so much  - Well Done!

Gingi's picture

great job. mind sharing with us how your recipe differs from the one in the book?

kensbread01's picture

Gingi,  my recipe did not actually differ from the book except I went with a little more hydration (maybe added in 25g of water).  Also, I might have added one heaping tablespoon of starter (that had been rising very well for me) to my initial 200 gms water and 200 grams flour the night before.  I think the only thing different, after the initial bulk fermentation and folds, I put all in the fridge overnight.  Last time I did this, the bread came out tasting better.  Yeast is suppose to stop working below 40F but enzymes in the flour keep on working.  When come for final rise, I divided the dough into two pieces and proofed for another 3 hours in the microwave oven with some boiling water in a bowl.  I refreshed the water every hour with more boiling water.  I will do it this way again, except I will half the dough before overnight fermentation so I can add extra ingredients and get two different loaves. I think the book suggest one does this after the first fold.  I recently bought another plastic container so I can make two different loaves from one 1000 gram dough.  Hope that helps.  The book goes into all the details but like many, you have to re-read things (those key 30-40 pages) every time you make the bread.  It's easy to miss something or skip a step.  First time I put the salt in with the dry flour not giving the 30 minutes autolyse time. From Wikipedia:  "Autolyse is an essential dough process. It refers to a period of rest after the initial mixing of flour and water, a rest period that occurs sequentially before the addition of yeast and other ingredients".