[ITJB Challenge] Week 1 - Mohn Bars
It's kickoff week for the Inside the Jewish Bakery Challenge - Semester 1. We're starting off with Mohn bars.
The bars are made up of three sub-recipes: 1-2-3 dough, a poppyseed filling, and streusel on the top. I used KA bread flour instead of home milled this time.
- The food processor did nothing for my poppy seeds -- I ended up using my blender, which did a great job.
- I ended up adding almost a half cup extra of water while boiling the poppyseed mix.
- Also, through bad reading, I boiled the honey rather than adding it at the end.
- I cooked the shortbread an extra 10 minutes to get some color into it (and it's still pretty pale)
- I cooked the final bars an extra 15 minutes, with the broiler on for the last 2 mins, to get the streusel browned
These bars are illustrative of why I'm in the challenge -- they have a (wonderful) flavor that I've never encountered, and would have never thought to try. I'm hoping there's still half a pan left for my wife to take to the office tomorrow, I really don't need to eat all of these :)