Here is a boule I made last weekend that is worth sharing. I had replenished my starter but didn't have enough bread flour on hand to make up my usual dough. I knew if I made a trip to the store, by the time I came back, my starter would be past its peak, so I just made up the difference with the flours I had on hand.
I really liked the flavour of this loaf and it improved throughout the week. Here is the recipe:
- 150g starter @ 100% hydration
- 300g water
- 3g diastatic malt
- 50g whole wheat
- 25g rye
- 25 all purpose
- 100g semolina
- 250g bread flour
- 9g salt
Whisk up starter, water and diastatic malt. Add remaining flours in increments and mix until all the flour is hydrated.
- autolyse 50 mins
Add salt and knead until medium gluten development. I don't have a mixer, so I always knead by hand. It takes about 8 to 10 minutes of quite vigorous slapping and folding.
- bulk ferment 2 hours with a stretch and fold at the one hour mark
Pre-shape, rest 20 mins, shape. Allow to rise to about three quarters of its final volume, then retard in the fridge overnight or for about 8 - 12 hours. Bake, with steam, at 230C for 10 mins, turn oven down to 200 - 210C and bake for another 40 mins. Keep and eye on it to see that it is not over browning and turn oven down, if necessary.