60% Whole Durum Boule
Continuing toward my goal of baking a non-brick-like Altamura type loaf with 100% Atta whole durum flour, today I increased durum flour percentage to 60%. My formula is exactly the same as my last attempt which used 40% durum flour with the exception of the difference in flour, but I changed process and technique a bit. Last time I did an overnight retard. This was mainly a scheduling issue but of course had an impact on the bread. This time, I did not retard overnight, but the dough did have a 1.5 hour refrigerator sojourn in the middle of bulk ferment again due to scheduling. The technique change was that rather than doing 4 in the bowl stretch and folds, I did 4 in the bowl scoop and pats. This means I rotated around the bowl several times using three fingers to gently scoop the dough on the edge of the bowl into the middle and then pat the dough twice (that is scoop, pat, pat, scoop, pat, pat, etc.) Franko said in comments to his post "From what I've learned so far, this flour needs to be coaxed into forming a good structure for trapping CO2" and by patting I was hoping to encourage such a structure without tearing the gluten strands. This patting idea came from Akiko in her last baguette post. I didn't understand it when I read about it in her post, and I still don't understand it, but I found this dough even more manageable and well behaved than the 40% version that I posted about a few days ago.
I am encouraged by the results and plan to continue on to 80% on my next attempt.