The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

First real effort

jd's picture

First real effort

Yes, I've got the bug. Forgive poor fomatting and terminology but the percentages are correct.

Preferment, 75% hydration, 25% starter:

336gm BRM Organic Bread Flour

224gm white flour starter, 100% hydration, fed twice in the previous 24 hours

224gm water

1/2 tsp salt (I love what this does for fermentation control)

Mixed in the KA and left covered on the counter for 24 hours (60-65 degrees).


Final build, 70% hydration:

448gm BRM Organic Bread Flour

291gm water

3/4 tsp salt

Used the hook on the KA and kneaded for eight minutes between 2-3 speeds after a 30 minute autolyse. Any higher and the dough crawled above the hook.

S&F in the bowl at 20 minutes and 40 minutes, then overnight into the referigerator.


Formed two loaves out of the fridge, two hour final proof. Premisted a 550 degree oven and the loaves. Turned the oven down to 450 when I put the loaves in. Turned and remisted at 10 minutes and rotated 90 degrees at 20 minutes. Took a total of 35 minutes to get to 200 degrees. Next go around, I'll just start at 450 to give me more leeway on timing. I turned off the oven, left the door open and let the loaves sit for five minutes before moving them to the rack. Great crust and crumb with a very light sour flavor. Next batch I'll start in a slightly cooler oven and add in a small amount of barley flour.

Syd's picture

You have achieved a beautiful open crumb for a first effort.  Congratulations!



jd's picture

When you start with a great recipe like the Rustic Bread recipe and progress from there, it works fairly well.


Floydm's picture

Looking good.  Keep at it!

jd's picture

My goal is three or four basic recipes. Pizza and foccacia I can do by feel and appearance, a loaf of bread requires more attention to pull off correctly. I'm impressed by the number of examples available.

rolls's picture

beautiful oven spring

jd's picture

I'll be starting another batch tomorrow! Hopefully I'll be able to adress a couple of minor problems. Then I have a baseline recipe I can start branching out from.