The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

What's the name of this fine bran?

nicodvb's picture

What's the name of this fine bran?


I have a special kind of rye bran: it's very fine, with good amounts of flour in it. It's very light, just like bran, and takes a lot of space. Its color is light grey. It looks like a sifted bran, including only the smallest parts of it. There are no middlings and no gritty parts.

In italian it's called "cruschello". How is it called in english?

It makes a fantastic bread when used in a hot soaker!

Jaydot's picture

Is this any help?

It does seem to be a form of milling, because I've seen it mentioned as a wheat product, but also as cruschello di avena...

nicodvb's picture

Thanks, Jaydot.

 "sharps"  surely doesn't fit: there's nothing sharp in my bran. Middlings ... maybe, but if middlings generally contain gritty parts it's not my case.

Franchiello's picture

something called "First Clear Flour" which is used in baking Jewish Deli rye breads.  The Bread Baker's Apprentice has a brief description of it in the chapter discussing flours.  It has a very high gluten content.