I just bought a 25lb sack of Danko Rye berries from Farmer Ground Flour and am excited to experiment! I decided to go with the Rye Sourdough recipe from The Perfect Loaf. I didn't feel like sifting the rye so I mixed up the flours used a bit and did 40% whole grain rye, 30% whole grain spelt, and 30% whole wheat. For the 15% seed soaker I used pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and steel cut oats.
I'm in the process of waiting at least 24 hours to cut into the loaf - fingers crossed.
I try to keep my loaves around the 50% whole grain level for health reasons and decided I should just bite the bullet and go for 100% this time.
350g home milled hard red winter wheat (Redeemer)
75g home milled spelt
85g starter at 100% hydration (my starter did contain some KABF so technically the loaf is more like 95% whole grain)
Sift out biggest pieces of bran and soak in hot water to reincorporate later (only got about 20g of bran since I don't have a real sifter)
2-stage levain build
3 hour autolyse
Added starter and soaked bran to autolyse at 4:45pm followed by 5 min Rubaud method
After 30 minutes add salt followed by 6 min Rubaud method
After 15 minutes do 2 more min Rubaud method
fold on counter
laminate 30 min after fold
let dough rest for 1 hour
coil fold, wait 30 min, coil fold again (I had planned on 3x coil fold, but when I went to perform the 3rd I decided the dough was at risk of overproofing at the 3h 45min mark with room temp around 77)
Shape and proof in fridge for 7-8 hours
Bake in DO for 22 min at 500 and then with lid off for 21 min at 475
I made two more 50% whole grain laminated loaves this weekend. One was filled with black and white sesame seeds and the other had raisins and toasted walnuts. I did a one hour autolyse for both doughs followed by a 3.5 hours bulk ferment (coil, laminate, 3x coil). These loaves had more spelt than I've done before because I was running low on whole wheat. Very happy with the taste of both loaves, but looking forward to being reunited with my dutch ovens, banneton, and lame to see if I am still capable of producing a decent looking loaf!
I decided to try and make sourdough bagels this week. I always thought bagels would be really hard to make and unnecessary since good bagels are easy to locate in NY. However, I decided to try making them at home after the last bagel I purchased had no flavor whatsoever.
I mostly followed this recipe from Baked the Blog, but I followed more of the process of Hamelman's bagel recipe (except he uses pate fermentee).
I didn't have diastatic malt or malt syrup, so I just used honey.
Overall, happy with how these came out and pleasantly surprised that it really was quite easy. Next time I'd try to get my hands on some diastatic malt, malt syrup, and maybe make the bagels a bit bigger (these were 120g). I'd also try a longer cold ferment (this one was about 12 hours).
I have been baking at my parents' home where I have access to one Le Creuset DO and one vintage aluminum DO. Bake after bake, the loaf baked in the aluminum DO has inferior rise and oven spring. Heat retention really does make a difference (at least that's what I have been finding). Both of these loaves are 50% whole grain and followed the exact same fermentation process, but the loaf on the right has superior spring.
Recipe from Artisan Bryan. Warning - this recipe makes an epic amount! I got 17 120-gram buns.
I added orange zest to the dough and cinnamon to the topping. I would definitely recommend adding orange zest to the dough as it really added a nice element.
The recipe is a bit strange in that it instructs you to just squeeze all of the main dough ingredients until they come together. I really feel I should have kneaded the dough very well as is usually instructed in brioche style doughs, but they taste very nice.
I decided to make two loaves using my typical flour mix: 50% KABF, 25% whole wheat, and 25% freshly milled spelt.
One loaf used almond milk instead of water and I added cinnamon, chocolate chips, and pecans during the lamination stage.
The second loaf added roasted red peppers, capers, garlic, pesto, pepperoncini, and cheddar cheese cubes during lamination.
I'm using a new fridge that seems to run warm so I need to work towards getting the dough in the fridge later in the evening. I think these loaves are getting over proofed during the overnight cold proof.
Neither loaf is a lot to look at, but boy do they taste good!
I'd tried Danny's Approachable Loaf community bake twice and my husband really liked it (I think I still prefer free-form), but I wasn't happy with my tin-baking experience. The loaves just wouldn't get crisp on the sides and the bottom and despite oiling of the tin I'd still need to cut the loaf out of it. I tried baking in a tin using parchment paper this time and the loaf came out with a much better crust on the sides and bottom! I'm pretty proud of this one since I didn't have a scale so I just estimated flour, water, and salt amounts by feel. I didn't measure, but it was some combination of freshly milled spelt and Redeemer wheat.
Instead of letting the dough proof overnight in the fridge, I just did about 5 hours in the fridge and it resulted in a much prettier loaf. I didn't score it.
I'm baking away from home with different flours, but I decided to just try and make something using 60% whole grains (a hodgepodge mix of rye, white whole wheat, and einkorn). I used 1000g of flour total and about 85% hydration, adding turmeric and sautéed onions. I made one loaf on the slightly smaller side and then the other loaf ended up weighing 1.3kg!! I didn't have a lame, or a sharp knife, so I tried to let the loaves open on their own. The smaller one opened nicely, but the "miche" rose but didn't crack. I think I overproofed these.
The loaves are hideous, but it's a nice soft crumb and my first time baking with 60% whole grains. Still better than supermarket bread!