This is my 15% breadcrumb bread from my 1/15/10 bake. I had a some baguettes left over from a previous bake, and didn't want to waste them so I made bread crumbs with them, and made more bread... Enjoy!
Total Dough Weight: approx 998g
Yield: 2 loaves at 400g weight after bake
85% AP - 470g
15% Breadcrumbs - 70g
10% Firm Sourdough Starter - 47g (straight from fridge fed day before)
100% Water - 470g
1.8% Kosher Salt - 8g
0.4% Active Dry Yeast - 2g (1/2 tsp)
Notes: I used breadcrumbs made from baguettes that I had made earlier that were sliced and dried out.
Feed sourdough starter, or convert liquid starter to firm starter. Leave on counter at room temp for 4 hrs, refrigerate until ready to use.
1. Measure out all ingredients, grind breadcrumbs by hand or in a food processor.
2. Place all water and bread crumbs in large mixing bowl, mix well, and let stand for a few minutes to let the crumbs absorb the water.
3. Add sourdough starter cut in pieces and the rest of the dry ingredients at once, mix with wooden spoon until all is combined into a shaggy dough, transfer to well oiled plastic container, cover and autolyse for 30 minutes. It will be very wet, but it will firm up as the breadcrumbs absorb the water. Do not add any extra flour.
4. After autolyse, stretch and fold dough in container with wet hands, cover and let rest for 30 mins.
5. Stretch and fold dough in container with wet hands, cover and let rest for 30 mins.
6. Stretch and fold dough in container with wet hands, cover and let rest for 30 mins.
7. Stretch and fold dough in container with wet hands, cover and let rest for 1 hr.
8. After rest, dough should have doubled in size. To test, poke dough with a floured finger. If impression remains, dough is ready.
9. Turn dough out onto a well floured surface, divide into 2 pieces approx 498g, preshape and cover with cloth and plastic, let rest for 15 minutes.
10. On a lightly floured surface, final shape loaves into batard shape, and proof for 45 to 60 minutes in linen couche and cover with kitchen towel and plastic so they don't dry out. Arrange baking stone in the oven along with a steam pan, and preheat to 500F with convection.
11. When oven reaches 500F and loaves are proofed, carefully turn them onto wooden peel, slash as desired and place in oven. When all the loaves are in, pour 3/4 cup of water into steam pan (use oven mitts), close door and bake for 18 minutes at 450F with convection, rotate and bake at 450F with convection for another 18 minutes or until internal temp reaches 210F.
12. Cool for at least 2 hrs before eating.