This is an adaptation of a Tartine recipe with one of Maurizio’s and using generally the methods of FullProofBaking. I attempted to score a leaf on the dough but was hilariously unsuccessful in my attempt. It just looks like random scores on one side.
Levain build 1:2:2
20 g mature starter
20 g bread flour
20 g whole wheat flour
40 g water
311 g white bread flour. 74% including levain
46 g whole wheat flour. 21% including levain
21 g dark rye flour. 5%
287 g warm water 74% hydration
7.5 g salt
77 g levain
2 g diastatic malt powder 0.5%
Total flour without levain 378 g
1 ⅛ cups pitted olives (black and green)
¾ cups walnuts toasted and coarsely chopped
¾ teaspoon dried herbes de Provence
Zest from 40% of a lemon
In a bowl stir together the olives, nuts, herbes de Provence and lemon zest
1. Liquid Levain (0:00) --- I build mine at around 1:2:2 and let it sit at about 80°F until it more than triples in volume and “peaks”. For my starter, this takes approximately 5-6 hours.
Flour for my starter feeds is composed of a mix of 10% rye, 90% bread flour
2. Autolyse (+3:00) --- This is a pre-soak of the flour and water. If concerned about the hydration hold back some of the water. You can add it back later, if necessary. Leave the autolyse for anywhere from 2-4 hours (I prefer 3 hours) while the levain finishes fermenting.
3. Add Levain (+6:00) --- Spread on top of dough and work in using your hands. This is a good time to evaluate the feel (hydration) of the dough.
4. Add Salt (+6:30) --- Place salt on top of dough and work in with hands. Dough will start to strengthen.
5. Light Fold (+7:00) --- With dough on a slightly wet bench do a Letter Fold from both ways. NOTE: If baking more than one loaf, divide the dough before folding.
6. Lamination (+7:30) --- Place dough on wet counter and spread out into a large rectangle. Add the mixed olives, walnuts, herbes de Provence and lemon zest spreading on top. Do a Letter Fold both ways.
7. Coil Fold (+8:15) --- Do a Coil Fold inside the BF container.
8. Coil Fold (+9:00) --- Do a Coil Fold inside the BF container.
9. Coil Fold (+9:15) --- Do a =Coil Fold inside the BF container.
10. End of BF - Shaping (~11:30) --- The duration of the BF is a judgement call. Shoot for 50-60% rise (assuming my fridge temp is set very low). Warmer fridge (above 39F) means your dough will continue to rise... so in this case, bulk to more like 40%. Divide and shape
11. Retard Overnight & Bake --- Score cold and bake in a pre-heated 500F oven for 20 minutes with steam
12. Vent Oven 20 minutes into the bake --- Vent oven and bake
for 20 or more minutes at 450F.