Olive Oil Rye Chocolate Bundt Cake with Chocolate Ganache
So I needed a dessert for brunch so decided to bake a cake. This recipe interested me because 25% of the flour is whole rye (the recipe calls for medium rye but I used whole rye) along with olive oil. Both gave this cake more complexity than straight AP flour and a neutral oil would. Also, in a nod towards making it lower fat I substituted Greek yogurt for the sour cream. This is still acid enough to leaven the cake, although a bit more acid might have given it just a bit more of a boost. This cake delicious and will keep for days given the olive oil in it.
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup medium rye flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1½ cups granulated sugar
⅓ cup cocoa powder
1 cup hot coffee (or hot water or black tea)
½ cup sour cream
1½ tsp vanilla
¼ cup + 2 tbsp whipping cream
120 g dark chocolate, finely chopped (4 ¼ squares Baker’s Dark Chocolate)
¼ cup sour cream
1 tbsp port wine (or coffee or whipping cream)
⅛ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp vanilla
1. Chocolate-Olive-Oil Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 10-cup Bundt pan with butter. Using fine-mesh sieve, dust with cocoa.
2. In bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, rye flour, baking soda and salt.
3. In large bowl, whisk together olive oil, sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk in hot coffee, then add eggs 1 at a time, whisking between additions.
4. Whisk in flour mixture. Add sour cream and vanilla, whisking, until just combined.
5. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing top. Tap pan on countertop a few times to remove air bubbles. Place on baking sheet and bake until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes; invert onto rack and remove pan. Let cool completely before transferring to cake plate.
6. Ganache Glaze: In saucepan, heat cream until almost simmering. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Let stand for 1 minute, then whisk until smooth. Whisk in sour cream, port, salt and vanilla. Mixture should be warm enough to pour. Drizzle glaze over cake and let set for 1 to 2 hours before serving.