Have I stumbled across the secret to...
Crispy crusts? I think the more sugar released from the flour which is caramelised with a bold bake results in a lovely crispy crust.
A long ferment using a little starter, high-ish hydration and baked till a dark crust resulted in my latest loaf having the crispiest crust i've ever gotten.
- 500g organic strong bread flour
- 350g water
- 10g salt
- 10g starter
The Method: which was more about fitting it into my schedule than anything else
- Mixed the four and salt. Added the starter and water. Formed the dough. Covered and left overnight.
- Gave it a few folds the next day then shaped. All in all it was about 14-16 hours. Put it in the fridge.
- About 7 hours later I took it out of the fridge and gave it a few hours room temp time. Fridge was too cold and it needed more time.
- Baked it about 23-24 hours after the initial mix.
- Voilia... beautiful dark, thin, crispy crust.