Sorry I'm not sure which forum topic this should be under. Also, I might not use the right terminologies so please correct me.
I have been maintaining two pasta madres. They both seem very healthy and strong. Both Ph are similar before and after conservation. Have not attempted Panettone yet.
Caputo Pasta madre, I feed with Caputo's Saccorosso (13% protein, W300/W320, P/L 0.50/0.60). She consistently gives me lots of beautiful elongated and opened holes (is that the right word ? or alveoli?). When I manage to get a bag of Agugiaro e Figna's Lievitati (14% protein, W400/410, P/L 0.50/0.60) from a local bakery that made amazing panettones I decided to make another pasta madre using that flour. Although Agugiaro pasta madre is also strong and healthy, it does not seem to be as big as the one I feed with Caputo's flour after storage. There are lots of alveoli but they are small and not as open.
I feed both the same. Twice a day, dry method, 6am at 1:1:0.4 at 27C, Ph 4.1, then night rest 1:1:0.4 at 17C, Ph range from 4.00 to 3.90.
These are my questions:
1. Does the size and shape of the alveoli of the pasta madre matter in making Panettone? Ideally, I don't want to keep two pasta madre. but which one should I keep?
2. I like the look of Pasta madre 1 with Caputo but Im not using caputo flour to make panettone, or can I?
3. If I use the Caputo pasta madre to make panettone, but using Agugiaro's flour to make panettone, will it impact the end result? should the same flour be used in feeding the pasta madre and making panettone?
4. I have been feeding both twice a day for the last month or so without refreshments because I have not used them in production. I have not put them in long storage because I collect the discard and make sourdough and other baked goods with it and really like the results so I stopped using liquid starter. Does long conservation weaken the pasta madre? does it need to rest? should I do 3 refreshments every once a while even if i dont make panettone?
5. Im considering using Giorili's recipe, I studied it carefully, it said the first dough Ph needs to be 5.1 and triple in volume. What if the Ph is 5.1 and it's not tripled? do I wait? and what happens if i wait until it tripled but the Ph is below 5?
Thank you in advance