March 8, 2022 - 11:07am
89th bake. 03/07/2022. Wheat & durum mini boule.
Mar. 7, 2022. 89th bake.
The goal here was to make a small enough boule to bake in my toaster oven, and use 300 grams of flour, not counting what's in the starter.
- 30 g of Gold Medal bread flour, for some gluten to make up for the durum.
- 30 g of whole wheat durum, roller milled, Sher Brar Mills "Fiber Wala."
- 30 g of Golden Temple durum, red bag.
- 150 g of coarse home-milled whole grain Prairie Gold hard white spring wheat.
- 60 g of coarse home-milled whole grain hard red winter wheat, generic.
- 226 g bottled spring water, 75% hydration.
- 11:27 am - Finished mixing.
- 12:35 pm - kneaded in 15 g water.
- 1:30 pm - kneaded in 15 g rye starter & 15 g bread flour starter, 100% hyd.
- 1:35 pm - kneaded in 10 g water with 5.5 g Himalayan salt.
- 1:44 pm - kneaded in 1/16 tsp instant dry yeast.
- after a while, kneaded some more.
- 3:42 pm - folded, shaped, put in 6" lined & dusted banneton, covered it with plastic film, and put in oven with light on.
- 5:04 pm - started bake at 400 F. Used a stone (below), and a cast iron plate (on top of it) with two steel chopsticks between them as a stand-off. Dough was scored and placed on the cast iron plate. Used bottom heat only for 20 min, then added top heat, but bottom got done before top was well-browned.
- Final internal temp 209 F.
- Try to remember to bake at 350 F next time.
No pics. It tasted too good.