I HAVE YOUR VATRUSHKA BUNS, right here!
So I found this volume measurement-based Cream cheese bun recipe. I set out to just covert the formula to mass measurements, However, I was slightly uncomfortable with the statement, "more flour may be needed." At that point, I set out to determine the baker percentage and hydration. At this point, it became crystal clear why the formula might need "more flour." I determined (if my mathematics and assumptions are correct) over 90% hydration. I tweaked this on the front side for a more manageable 61% hydration. Seeing as the recipe called for a yield of 30 buns. I am pretty sure the blogger (momsdish) was adding at least the same 2 1/2 cups of flour that I added. This yielded a respectable 57g size bun. There you have it, my riff, and now a replicable formula for Russian Cream Cheese Vatrushka Buns!
The buds are very good. Albite the pastry could do with a nice slow overnight ferment to add some depth of flavor. For the filling I used what I had on hand. one 8oz. package of cream cheese passed its best by date and a fresh 15oz. container of ricotta cheese. I am very happy with both the texture and flavor. Next time I will try the farmers' cheese recommended in the original recipe.