65th bake. 11/01/2021. 93.7% WW.
Nov. 1, 2021. 65th bake/batch.
- 75 g Patel brand stone ground whole wheat durum.
- 225 g Bob's Red Mill stone ground WW.
- 10 g yellow corn meal.
- 10 g quick oats (not instant oats).
- 11 g whole dry chia.
- 6 g salt.
- 16 g dry roasted salted sunflower seeds.
- 248 g spring water.
- 11 g whole fresh milk.
Finished mixing at about 9:45 am.
At about 10:30 am:
- 41 g starter, 100% hydration, made with Gold Medal bread flour.
- 10 g spring water.
- 1/8 tsp active dry yeast.
- 1/2 tsp toasted bread spice.
Kneaded a little after folding in the starter, yeast and spice, and occasionally throughout bulk ferment. Pulled off 70 to 80 grams for some fry bread, which did not come out well. It was either the sunflower seeds or the oats, or too much hydration.
When the bulk ferment seemed ready, I folded/shaped it into a ball and proofed it in a 8" lined banneton dusted with rice/AP flour.
In the afternoon: Baked in toaster oven, on 9.25" Lodge cast iron plate. Aluminum foil was under the plate, shiny side up. Used lower heating element for most of bake, and last 8 minutes user lower and upper heating elements. Pre-heated at 450 F. Baked at 400. Last 4 minutes at 350.
I forgot to take pictures of crumb, but it came out good, both crust/crumb and taste. Gave most of it to a friend.