Yudane toasted buckwheat sourdough baguette
Toasted Buckwheat Yudane Sourdough Baguette
Last weekend I made a sourdough baguette using the yudane method (20% flour from the recipe + equal weight of boiling water, left overnight). The yudane is added to the dough before bulk fermentation. I used fresh milled hard wheat for my first one.
Find that blog here https://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/69116/yudane-milled-wheat-sourdough-baguette
A yudane gelatinizes flour and traps moisture, creating a moist crumb. It also compensates for low gluten flours through gelatinization. To compensate for the water trapped in the gelatinization you can also increase hydration by adding more water as I did with this loaf. The gelatinization helps keep a high hydration dough manageable even when it is very slack.
This weekend I made a toasted buckwheat version because I have a lot on hand. I have toasted buckwheat for pancakes because I like the flavour, especially when maple syrup is added.
Once again this is a variation of Maurizio Leo's sourdough baguette recipe with low aesthetics!
My dough recipe is 80% AP and 20% buckwheat. I measured the buckwheat out and toasted it in a skillet on high heat, mixing regularly until it was browned a bit. Here you can see before and after.
After toasting I made the yudane by adding an equal weight (200g) of boiling filtered water. Note that I should have let the flour cool first. I got flash boiling of the flour in the mixing bowl because everything was too hot. This resulted in losing water to steam, which I had to replace by weighing it all out again.
I let it sit overnight. Next day I autolyzed the AP flour and filtered water for 30 mins with the yudane folded in. This was because this yudane was a bit dry (compared to the fluffy porridge I had with a milled wheat version with no flash boiling).
After autolyse I added salt and rye levain and mixed 5mins + 15 mins rest x 3.
This yudane had some bits that didn't fully integrate into the dough unlike last time.
Then overnight in fridge.
Next morning dough had risen a lot in fridge. I scooped it out, shaped and baked.
A very slack dough. I bookfolded and coiled each portion, then did baguette shaping.
Loaves were not as puffy as wheat ones. May be overfermenting / proofing. Slashing didn't work too well with slack dough. I was a little impatient and abusive in my dough handling which shows :p
Crumb shot and taste
Here is the crumb shot. Moist texture, sourdough tangy and buckwheat flavour. I'll taste again tomorrow as toast.
EDIT: Next day, the tangyness had calmed down. It had a soft chew I liked, a light sweetness, and a pervasive mellow toasted buckwheat I really enjoyed. To me it was like eating some kind of slightly sweet, spiced breakfast bread. Liked it a lot!
EDIT: By lunch next day, amazing aroma in the bread. Toasted slices were great. Had as open faced sandwiches with homemade chicken salad. I am so pleased with the tastes and textures coming out of this process.
EDIT 2: Given the huge ballooning of the dough in retarded bulk, I think I would have a more controllable dough if I reduced its temperature before the retarded bulk. Cold water to make the dough, or ice packs around the mixer bowl. The dough gets warm from the vigorous mixing. A more controllable dough would make it easier to shape and slash for less ugly loaves. I might also have too much water in these. I think it was 87% including levain, yudane, autolyse, and added water duing mixing.
I bought some farro (emmer probably) and sprouted spelt kernels so I will try some more milling and yudane over the next few weeks.