How does Oil and Honey affect Hydration
Today, I baked a new formula. I thought the dough would be too wet considering the hydration, including the milk, oil, and honey came to 72.5%. But the dough was very dry, actually IMO too much so. It felt like ~62-65%.
How do the following affect hydration?
- NOTE - since hydration technically pertains to water content, I am more interested in how the actual dough feels. For example oil, it is 100% fat, but it does affect the “feel” of the dough.
- milk 65%
- oil 5%
- honey 2.5%
- 260 g 1% Milk* 65%
- 6 g Instant Dry Yeast (about 1 packet) 1.5%
- 8 g Diastatic Malt powder (optional) 2%
- 400 g Bread Flour (all-purpose works too) 100%
- 10 g Honey (or sugar) 2.5%
- 20 g Olive Oil 5%
- 8 g Salt 2%