Everything muffins. 04/09/2021.
April 9, 2021.
This was a SOT-SOT* bake, with nothing measured except stevia, Sucralose, guar gum, and baking powder. They came out really good, so I wish I had measured.
My rules of thumb for muffins: 1. use about 1 tsp baking powder per cup of dry ingredients. 2. Hydrate to a thick batter, that spreads out some, but not completely flat on top.
- Blanched almond flour.
- shredded coconut.
- durum semolina, the gritty stuff.
- Bob's Red Mill stone ground whole wheat flour.
- Fiber Wala whole grain durum flour (fine, not gritty) from Brar Mills.
- King Arthur bread flour.
- Yellow corn meal, the gritty stuff.
- Quick oats (not instant.)
- Whole dry chia seeds.
- ground flax seeds, dry, not soaked.
- pre-roasted sunflower seeds, salted, not soaked.
- dry poppy seeds.
- whole anise seeds.
- whole fennel seeds.
- brown raw dry sesame seeds.
- pumpkin pie spice.
- ground cinnamon.
- ground ginger.
- Jaggery (Raw brown sugar from India.)
- 1 tbsp stevia for baking, equiv in sweetness to 1 tbsp white sugar.
- 2 packets Sucralose, equiv in sweetness to 4 tsp white sugar.
- 2 tsp Rumsford baking powder, no aluminum.
- 1/4 tsp guar gum.
- approx 1 tsp coarse ground psyllium, from India.
- Powdered skim milk dissolved in water.
- MCT oil from coconuts. It was on sale for a ridiculously low price, equivalent to regular coconut oil, so I took advantage of the sale.
- grapeseed oil.
After mixing the dry ingredients, I added water/milk to get to the consistency that I'm used to, then let it rest so the ingredients could soak up the water.
I let it rest about 30 minutes, then added more water, stirred, then added oil. Then I think I let it rest more to absorb what was added.
I believe it important to add water before adding oil to let the grains and seeds hydrate a little.
Baked in paper muffin cups in a muffin tin, in a toaster oven. Preheated to 400 degrees F, and baked at 400 F about 12 minutes with bottom-heat only, then about 10 minutes with both bottom and top heat until tops were browned.
*Some of this, some of that.