30th bake, 01/14/2021. Gamelin + SOTSOT.
Jan. 14, 2021.
This started out as a bake of Steve Gamelin's 50% WW loaf, as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcmS7uahscI
His formula is volumetric:
- 1.5 cups bread flour.
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour.
- 1.5 tsp salt.
- 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil.
- 1 tbsp honey.
- 13 fluid ounces cool water.
I'm doing a little longer bulk ferment, so I used 1/8 tsp instant dry yeast. I also changed to 1-1/8 tsp salt, and used 14 fl oz water because of the add-ins. The rest is SOTSOT.
- 1.5 cups King Arthur bread flour.
- 1.5 cups Bob's Red Mill stone ground whole wheat flour.
- 2 tbsp corn meal.
- 2 tbsp quick oats.
- 2 tbsp fat-free powdered milk.
- 2 tbsp dry whole chia seed.
- 2 tbsp dry ground flaxseed.
- 1 tsp ground toasted bread spice: sesame, caraway, coriander, fennel.
- 1-1/2 tsp poppy seeds.
- 1 tsp whole raw caraway seeds.
- 1-1/8 tsp salt. (as opposed to 1-1/2 tsp.)
- 1/8 tsp instant dry yeast. (as opposed to 1/4 tsp.)
- 1 tsp sourdough starter, 100% hydration, 6 days since fed.
- 14 fl oz bottled spring water. (as opposed to 13 fl oz tap.)
- 1 tbsp E.V. olive oil.
- 1 tbsp jaggery, aka brown sugar, instead of honey.
Mixed at approximately 3:30 pm. Will shape, proof and bake tomorrow AM.
I couldn't help myself, and did one set of four stretch-and-folds at 5:26 pm. The dough seemed a little stiff, so I sprinkled on about 1/4 tsp of water.
Did another set of four stretch-and-folds at about 6:30p, and sprinkled on another 1/4 tsp of water.
Did another set of four stretch-and-folds at about 7:30p, and sprinkled on another 1/4 tsp of water.
I was up around 4:15 am, so I decided to check on the dough which had been fermenting at about 68 F room temp. It had at least doubled, and was bubbly on top.
So I folded, shaped, stitched the seam, and put it in a 8" inner-upper-diameter banneton, seam up, with a cloth liner that was dusted with 50/50 rice flour and KA bread flour. I put plastic wrap on top, held in place with a rubber band, put in a plastic grocery bag, and put in fridge, which is about 38.8 to 39.4 F.
Bulk ferment was 13 hours at about 69 F.
Final proof was 4.5 hours at 39 F. The dough had risen noticeably in the fridge and was pressed up against the plastic wrap.
Pre-heated oven to 465 F. Turned dough over on parchment and scored. It had a nice skin and it did not spread out much. But due to the uneven scores it spread in one direction more. Loaded it into the deep part of a Lodge 3.2 qt combo cooker.
- Bake started at 9:03 am
- Baked 10 min at 450, covered.
- Baked 10 min at 440, covered.
- Baked 10 min at 430, covered.
- Uncovered after 30 min., good oven spring.
- Baked 10 min at 400, uncovered.
- Temp only 200 F after 40 min.
- Baked 10 min at 390, uncovered.
- Total time: 50 min. Final inner temp 205 F.
I forgot to weigh the final dough. But after cooling few hours, the baked loaf weighed 920 grams.